MacRetro chat and rides thread

You don't have to cycle there and back from Fife :)

Something new is always good, Cape Wrath sounds amazing, I'd be up for anything late May onwards, day or weekend - I've decided I deserve it and as long as I put it in the calendar and it is not the weekend closest to the 13th of June I should be fine.

Re: Re:

RobMac":npte9d3c said:
Also how difficult is it to replace bearings in Hope hubs?

What vintage?
Been looking at this myself for Pro Evo 2 as the main bearings in my rear fat bike hub are gubbed. Getting them out looks pretty straightforward. Getting them back in the right spacing looks trickier. There’s a tool kit which drifts them in the right amount, but it’s £35 and different hubs need slightly different options. Still tempted though as I’ve three bikes with that hub.

As for plus tyres, only really got experience of Maxxis.
Chronicle, fast rolling but only a summer tyre.
Rekon +, great on back all year and good on front in summer.
Dhf/ Dhr amazing grip on front, but overkill on rear.
Loving current combo Dhr/ Rekon. Not cheap though. Can save money going for dual compound rather than 3C, but 120 tpi version is worth it for weight saving and feel.

For the various classic hopes I have changed I just used a bench vice and socket set to fit the bearings - socket matching the out diameter of the bearing being fitted so it could be pushed to the correct location. The removal process was even less technical - hammer and screwdriver method :)

Latest posts

Back