MacRetro chat and rides thread

Brian the Gravel Bike shown still isn't hub geared plus its already been done, even before your versions........now what are they called...........oh yeah, mountain bikes :facepalm:

Before that they were, well, just bicycles that you road everywhere :roll:

velomaniac":1egasvmk said:
Brian the Gravel Bike shown still isn't hub geared plus its already been done, even before your versions........now what are they called...........oh yeah, mountain bikes :facepalm:

Before that they were, well, just bicycles that you road everywhere :roll:
I never really been a mountain biker, just a bicyclist in strange places, more any bike anywhere anytime I feel like it. The bike is a tool for getting me into interesting places. I've never had much interest in bikes with bouncy bits or dangly bits.

Which is why my fixed wheel Fuji Track has been places like the top of Fyrish (I don't recommend trying that BTW :) ).

I reckon the bicycle in shape and form was more or less perfected around 1900. They had 2" tyres available, almost all roads were gravel or worse. Improvements since then have been materials and evolution of the peripherals like brakes.

For example, your Rudge will be quite capable on anything a modern gravel bike is intended for, and it's not far removed from its 1900s ancestors.

If you fancy a gentleman's roadster retro ride, there's some nice roads around here, we could organise a ride.

Re:

Only thing original about my Rudge is the frame. Forks are AHead alloy cyclocross jobs and wheels are 700c. That said I role around in fixed format on and off road and it did service at SSEC2011 in Belgium.
Might take you up on a off-roadster ride during the summer. Cheers

Re:

While I'm still digging my heels in the 26" era I've just come to the conclusion that I was concerned that the stock of tyres and rims would become a problem. But instead it's looking like it's suspension forks with straight steerers that's arrived first :?

Re:

Due to recent peer pressure I "may" give into technology and seek out a 27.5 hard tail with a longish front end.
But only if I generate some funds from selling stuff on, after all I don't want the house/shed filled with bikes and bike parts. So i "may" start a search for a NEW 27.5 hard tail frame.
I DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE GETTING A 29er IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM.

Back