If you could keep only one bike from your fleet, which one?

Re:

Tough one, I could happily live with two bikes (one road and one off-road machine) but one is just that little trickier to decide on.
The head says the Planet X Full Monty Gravel bike as it covers most of the riding I enjoy. The heart would say My 92 Dyna-Tech Ogre as, like others, I've owned it from new and has in the past been my one and only bike. With some narrow slick tyres it is a perfectly capable road bike.

But let's face it this is never gonna happen, I get as much pleasure out of building bikes a I do riding them. I do ride all of my retro bikes on occasion but that's only a small part of what I enjoy them for so I see them as a separate thing entirely from my 2 or 3 modern bikes (it's definitely 3 btw :LOL: ).

I hear where your coming from :)
I'm pretty much the same with my retro stuff. I always build them to ride, it's what gets me enthused initially is seeing that old frame and thinking wow, that would be a great bike to ride if I could sort it. So the build is definitely a feature of these, but then again my moderns have all been built from framesets.
My modern Surlys cover most of my needs and my Merckx was new so I still think of that in non retro terms, somehow more modern :)
As you say, never gonna happen, or may we at least hope not.
First world choices for us lucky band of retro brothers ;)

Jamie

Re:

I can't believe I'm saying it as it's not my favorite bike but my Santa Cruz Chameleon, brought from ebay as a frame (it was a complete bike but listed as a frame as most bits were U/s) seat post was seized solid, it'd had a REALLY hard life & was worthless if I'm honest. It was my first build, I had some super karma & great help from this forum when it came to building it. The enthusiasm here really spurred my love & re-ignighted my interest in biking. It also helps that it owes me more than it's worth & it's a great ride ;)

It would have to be the British Eagle. If it had any other name on the down tube it'd be lauded as some god like construct but whatever it says, its a very versatile and very comfortable to ride.

file.php

Jamiedyer":2puysmpi said:
Tough call for me between my 1X1 or my Long Haul Trucker.
Most likely my LHT as it is and has been for a long time my go to machine. It tours, day rides, gravel rides, carries loads commutes, audaxs and always leaves a smile..
Aye the LHT does seem to do a lot of offroad stuff... :)

Latest posts

Back