MacRetro chat and rides thread

Had them on the Ibis and didn't never touched them in 3 years and were perfect. Bottom bracket was transferred to Jones and did an extra year of riding without any maintenance. Got two current bikes using the headset and one with BB and never had an issue.

Particularly like the headsets as you can buy the upper and lower separately making it much easier to get the combination you need for all the sizes around today. Also easy to get spare crown races if swapping forks around. Replacement bearings from Hope are expensive but cheap to get from local bearing supplier if ever needed.

Bottom bracket expensive compared to XT but if you like to fit and forget I think they are worth it. Headsets are as good as Chris King but half the price.

Re: Re:

RobMac":2f37p86h said:
Are Hope H/sets and B/brackets any good?
Went on CRC and read some of the feed-back on Hope H/sets
and it wasn't great :?
Yes they're good unless you're one of those numpties who likes to jet blast his bike clean and then whinge when his bearings don't last long.

Re:

Rob, I'm still using 2 of their original square-taper titanium BBs, one I bought 20+ years ago, the other was 2nd hand a few years ago.
Both still working fine, the 2nd hand one is on the Wolf Ridge now and the 20+ years old one has been on 3 of my bikes.
The older one is in spares box at the moment so maybe I'll take the seals off and add some new grease.
As clubby said, their replacement bearings are expensive but there might be a reason for that in that they can last a long time.

Re:

As above regarding headset - no issues with mine at all in seven years.

Maybe some bad press if they've recently changed design or materials?

Re:

Starting to feel a bit of a retro vibe coming back, a few projects to bring back in from the cold. Anyone else building anything? Might just be my limited attention span but it seems a wee bit quiet on the (retro)building front.

Re:

I've been quietly building/tweaking the odd bike when I've managed to source the right parts but haven't been uploading any updates recently. The Epic is now complete and in full 88 XT guise (will get some pics sorted soon).
Other than that I've got my Orange Prestige to progress and my 90 Kona Cinder Cone to start in earnest now that I have everything for the build.

What projects have you got planned Kaiser?

Back