Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

kaiser":25y1hqrq said:
Aye this is the 4th walking visit this year. After years of Goat Fell it was time to try some other hills and they are all belters! Cir Mhor is probably next.

A Chir ridge also good :cool:

I'd show you my photos but the battery went flat. Got 2 pics before the battery died (I'll add them later when I can download)

Went to do climb No 2 (P3:cool: at Achtuie past Drumnadrochit. So off on the trusty 3 speed via Beauly and Cannich. No way was I going to ride down the side of Loch Ness, monsters do exist and they drive cars. I've had too many close calls there.

It was a perfect day, sunshine, absolutely no rain, and just a little headwind. It was also probably the last day of the year I'll get off with riding in shirtsleeves.

I got 20 miles down the road and my knee started to twinge, by 30 it was painful so I scratched the idea of Achtuie which makes Fail No 2. (I'm good at this notclimbing stuff :) ).

Instead I went up the hill at Milton, and it's bad enough.

It's had some massaging since I last rode it with a bit of widening here and there. I have form on his hill - I call it Bastard Derailleur Hill from an incident over 50 years ago when my Simplex nylon derailleur simply broke in two. I was dancing on the pedals at the time so the impact of the top tube on my family jewels was considerable. The tears just streamed down my face as I rolled on the ground in foetal position clutching the damaged bits. When I finished feeling sorry for myself, I removed the remains and threw one part into the adjoining field and the other into the burn (derailleur, that is :) ) and became a singlespeeder.

So 50+ years of that, no knee problems. A few miles with gears, sore knees. Surely a coincidence. The bike is not highly geared so it's not a case of overdoing it.

Raised the saddle which alleviated it, but every now and then I'd yelp at a surprise twinge.

End of the day it was 60 miles with a reasonable amount of climbing.

EDIT: some pics

Glen Cannich

A spot of shepherding.

Oh, and for once, at no point did my bike go offroad. :)

Sounds like another grand day out :)
Great weather, long may it last. Hopefully it will stay around like last year when we got some of our best runs in well into autumn.
We will have to get back into our usual weekend rides. Bit easier now I have transport again :)

Jamie

Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the river when I spotted this new minted track at Glasburn going right over the mountain, otherwise the Pompino would have had a wee bit of offroad.

Maybe it was just as well...

Any archeologists?

Found these standing stones near Achnasheen across from Luib.

Not listed on Canmore or marked on OS maps.

Re:

Nice ride & write up Brian.

I think you'll find those stones are monuments to the many rear derailleurs that have tried and failed around those parts :LOL:

Excellent day bashing the Bishop up the Lomond Hills with Keith, OCP and their mates Kenny and Alan.
New area to me and well worth a return visit as we only scratched the surface today. Trails bone dry in places but really boggy in others so was glad I was on the Pugsley. Fat B Nimble was struggling on the back in places though so I think it's time to bite the bullet and order a set of fat Minions. Not just me, as Keith's Husker Du's were also struggling and dumped him off in comedy style a few times. Also realised how used I've became to a dropper post. Really missed it on the unexpected steeper sections.
We also bid a fond farewell to one of OCP's Eggbeater pedals, as it shat a spring 1/3 of the way round. Well done to him for managing all the major downhills with one foot flapping. There was a fair bit of swearing though, not like OCP at all :oops:

Lomonds by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Back