And today I did......

Yesterday, I arrived in Lancaster... No spectacular Jamie-esque pictures unfortunately. The weather has been very "Meh" and I seem to have bypassed any stunning views!.

178 lumpy miles since I left Glasgow on Saturday but only 70 miles to do today.

A bit slower than planned, but given I'm carrying stuff for a day's work on Tuesday, I'm not too upset.

First stop today is a bike shop so I can retorque the saddle clamp... It's been slipping back and up and resetting it with a multi tool only lasts so long. Next time I carry a full Nelson longflap, I'll use a two-bolt post.

Attachments

• Lancaster sunday.jpg
    Lancaster sunday.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 291
  • shap.jpg
    shap.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 291
  • gretnagreen.jpg
    gretnagreen.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 291
That Shap pic brings back memories of racing heavily laden lorries up it and smoking brake blocks down it. :)

Probably no problem these days on a modern bike.

90's brakes on an 80's frameset... It was fine.

The extra 9 kilos hanging off the back of the saddle meant I wasn't throwing myself into the bends though!

jackosbournesnr":3fjq6c7m said:
90's brakes on an 80's frameset... It was fine.

The extra 9 kilos hanging off the back of the saddle meant I wasn't throwing myself into the bends though!

Once you get above about 30mph it's academic.

Chapeau.

Re:

Today I was collecting my daughter from Bellahouston sports centre and spotted what was clearly a 1980s mountainbike at the bike racks.
Further investigation established it was a Nishiki Bushwacker c1983 in original and good condition. I really like the look of it so I left a wee note for the owner asking if they wanted to sell it :LOL: So far they've not contacted me :(

I took a couple of photos but after the feck up with Pishibucket I don't know how to post them up.

It was exactly the same as this ...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=280175

Resize the photos to less than 500kb and attach them to your post on here.
I use "Photo & Picture Resizer" app on my phone.

That Nishiki looks very :cool: did you say how much you'd offer for the bike on your note? (You never know, some people have no idea what they're riding around on!).

80's bikes are cool and all that, but I only use mine for pooling along, after riding anything remotely modern a 30-odd year old bike seems like all of its 30+ years.
Things have certainly moved on a helll of a lot !

Hey, buy my Peugeot if You want an 80's mtb ;)

That looks like a great ride JackOsbournesnr.
Hopefully you have had good weather for the rest of your journey. It's all lovely country to ride down near the borders.
Look forward to reading the rest of the report once your back and settled.

Can you make it across to the Tay/Killin run next month?

Jamie

Nothing much to report from day three really... 75 mile run through rolling Lancashire countryside that was pretty but decidedly unspectacular. The last 25 was actually not that pleasant and Runcorn is truly shit to try riding through! There's lots of bike paths as the roads near the bridge over the Mersey are mostly mental but as is so often the case, they're partially hidden and terribly signposted.

Had a nice lunch at a canal marina cafe in Rufford though.

Rode back to Warrington for the train home this afternoon after a day of meetings and managed to dodge the forecast rain back in Glasgow.

Biggest highlight of the trip was doing the whole thing without using the granny ring. Quite chuffed with doing 250 loaded miles without dropping below 40-28.

If I was doing this again, I'd plan a more photogenic route, but here's the highlights of day 3...

Cheers
Ken

Attachments

• jobdone.jpg
    jobdone.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 210
  • runcorncanalbasin.jpg
    runcorncanalbasin.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 210
  • WidnesandMersey.jpg
    WidnesandMersey.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 210
Still looks nice to me and sounds like a great few days away. Certainly better than getting the train straight there and then straight home. Always better if you can make an adventure out of it if you can. Though that is always the hard part I find, getting the time out that's required.
Glad you had a good ride and raised some money along the way. The Concorde looks beautiful as usual whether loaded or not.
Great effort as well as that is a fair old distance with work in the middle, hats off to you.

Jamie

Back