Show us what you did today, thread

Jamiedyer":1mip3lxo said:
Hey Brian, that is a huge effort on that loop. I don't think most people will appreciate the distance let alone the climbs like the Struie.
Great effort, well done.

Jamie

Indeed, echo the above, that's a very impressive ride! Especially with that gearing...

Climbed the Struie on Sunday with many more gears, and many less miles, and it is a proper wee hill :) It's Antoinette and I's regular loop, but we usually do it the other way round.... Our Sundays ride, with profile for those who don't know it, and this is but a fraction of what Epicyclo did :

Struie Loop counter clockwise... by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

Have you thought about hiding a small tool box next to this telephone box :LOL: Lovely scenery as usual on this site :D

dyna-ti":1zqq86wh said:
Have you thought about hiding a small tool box next to this telephone box :LOL: Lovely scenery as usual on this site :D
An oxygen cylinder would be better.

The air seems awful thin when you're climbing that wee hill (it is wee, it's just something always happens to bring me to a grinding halt there :) ).

Surplus son No 3 cast his beady eyes over my bikes and wanted my Avanti single speed that I used in Oz. He has utterly worn out the last bike I gave him, utterly may be understating it.

But was he content with it as is, oh no. A few changes had to be made.

In for a penny, in for a pound, so it got stripped back to a bare frame, EBB removed and greased, new BB - the last of my hoard of Crank Bros ISIS BBs (sob, sob), new chain, new freewheel (actually 2 new freewheels, he didn't like the gearing with the first, effing wimp), then it was change the tyres because it will be used more for commuting on paths than mtb, at which point I discovered the tubes had started to perish, so new tubes. I could go on, but definitely in for a pound not the penny! :)

Avantis are a NZ brand. It looks a dead ringer for the Singular frame I had, right down to the EBB. Fork isn't as nice though. Good handling.

But to the important question, does an N-1 justify a sneaky N+1?

(Jamie is not allowed to say a word :) )

Yesterday Caleb and I headed out into the flow country with the ,maybe, destination, of Altnabreac station via Loch More. I use the term destination loosely as Caleb was taking his bike out there for the first time and seen as how since he lost his stabilisers only about 5 weeks ago, the furthest he has gone is about 2 miles, we just decided to play it by ear.
Plan was I would take the Big Dummy and when he got tired or needed a break then I would hook his bike up and take him in comfort.
It's only about a 15 mile round trip but with a 6 year old riding a 16'' wheeled singlespeed, it was never going to be at race pace. I thought we will get as far as he wants and then I will haul him back, no pressure to get anywhere, we had drinks, sandwich's and snacks so it was just an afternoon out.
We loaded the car up around lunch to drive out to Strathmore and start near the Loch, a tight squeeze to get it in but as long as I could remember how it all went in then we should be right to get it home.
The first mile or so once we got going is rough heavy metal rock embedded in the dirt as this is the section that see's the odd car and the odd logging truck, after this it is through/over a gate that most cannot get access to except for the logging truck who have logged the next 1/4 mile or so, so once again it's rough but lots of loose metal rocks on top.
I said that I would take him to the end of this section as then it is into the estate forest road over a cattle grid and the road is a good sandy type surface. This lasted about 100 metres if that and he said he was good to ride. Off he went bouncing around, I explained to him about letting his legs take some of the weight and shock of the big bumps rather than his backside and to follow me so he would ride a smooth part of the road.
This went well until we were almost off the second part and onto the smooth stuff when down he went, front wheel hit a big rock and went left and he went right, grazed arm and hip as well as getting his foot stuck at an awkward angle. Thought that would be it and we were a few miles in but no he was determined to go further, I was quite proud of him as I wouldn't have blamed him at all for calling time, we had been out a long while already.
We had frequent stops along the way and ate our sandwich's at the small fishing loch before pushing on to the station itself. I had said to him earlier where he really dug deep up a hill and then stopped for a drink and said about getting to the station, that it was still a long way to go. He was certainly determined to make the station and make it under his own steam as well as I offered to give him a lift, but he wasn't having it. Must admit I was very proud as it was a giant effort to go that far and took a lot out of him as well as took him a long time. By now the wind had picked up slightly and the clouds had started to darken so was quite pleased after about a mile into the return journey that he said he would like to go on the Dummy.
We made it back to the car and got packed pretty quick as I was conscious of the time and the fact we had to get home for dinner. It was a late one but well worth it.
A great afternoon and while I was obviously very proud and kept giving him praise and encouragement along the way, I could see he was really pleased that he had made it to the station. I think he was happy to prove he could do it to himself as much as me. He didn't make a big deal or boast, he was quite quiet actually, but a happy and content quiet. He must have rode at least 7 or 8 miles, so a very good effort.
Not retro again, I know, but just thought I would share.

Jamie

Fully loaded car, Dummy reaches from front passenger to the tailgate, only with the bars turned
21083208_1271725492956192_6929451945184826898_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21125382_1271717322957009_6709097848812580715_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21167777_1271717539623654_1413315984670431686_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21083274_1271718176290257_6465535965278179360_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21077417_1271718622956879_675779410837751411_n by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21167303_1271718679623540_7527215358409285612_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21200455_1271718746290200_637312138013820958_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

21125721_1271718619623546_8431453485601586264_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

One day when he's about 14 or 15 that lad will get on his bike and disappear.

That night you'll get a phone call from Glasgow. "Daaad..."

Re:

Took most of the afternoon off to go for my first proper ride on my "new" bike (it's pretty modern for me, only 15 years old - I'm going straight from cantis to hydraulic discs which is a very pleasant upgrade!) Conversely I moved to SPDs 24 years ago and so going back to clips and straps (temporarily - waiting for new pedals to arrive) was a bit strange...

Lovely warm sunny afternoon, and a route I've always loved but haven't been on for years.
IMG02728-reduced

Back