MOTOR CHAT

Re:

Acquired a 2005 Octavia VRS shootin brake :xmas-cool:

Was really after another spare diesel to use whilst new turbo fitted but this appeared locally outstandingly cheap

Looks like this...

Plenty room for bikes in back. Goes like stink, seems much faster than the quoted 7.9 second 0-62mph figure, so suspect it may have been breathed on at some point :twisted:

Cool! Love the calipers. Looks very fresh and minty.

Weird about the 0-60 times. Our behemoth Grand Voyager is under 9, yet the specs say over 11. Whether it is a nicely worn in engine, or they try to keep insurance brackets reasonable, I have no idea.

Had an old Fiat that was similar, and a couple of Alfas.

Nice score anyway!

Re:

Nice motor Mr Panda! I had a passenger ride in a VRS at Thruxton last year, surprisingly and seriously quick when there's someone a bit "handy" driving it. And you have plenty of room for bikes in the back too, win win :D

Re:

Yep I'm surprised how quick it accelerates - front end goes really light if you give it welly on a long straight. Top photo is the actual car and although "just another Skoda Estate" I've grown to kinda like 'em over the last two years or so, primarily due to disgustingly cheap running costs on my diesel which has now turned 200k miles :D

Previous Subaru estate was a nice car, magic in snow & ice, but hideous servicing/MOT bills and fuel consumption, which made a big hit when driving 30,000 miles a year - 25mpg or less at seven quid a gallon at the time - go figure :facepalm:

Diesel Octavia was bought a couple of years ago as emergency car when Scooby blew engine and I honestly haven't looked back, as it cost the same as a set of reasonable quality tyres :D

VRS is an impulse purchase spare car as my daily driver diesel one needs to get some TLC soon.

That is how we normally end up buying cars. I hate paying for anything, so I would rather buy a car while another one needs fixing. My wife keep track of all the outgoings, and I am happy to say there is a positive balance on vehicle spending!

highlandsflyer":11mu95gx said:
I am happy to say there is a positive balance on vehicle spending!

:shock:

If you could transfer that over to retrobike spending you'd be quids in :D

Re:

Back from holiday and I've picked up my motorbike lessons again, had a couple of false starts (to the lessons) but I've some more booked and hopefully will see it through to completion. Anyway I realised I hadn't posted any pics of the bikes so here they are.

This is the rider, hoping to earn my stripes on this, Honda CBF600, not the Hornet unfortunately or maybe fortunately. According to the press its a user friendly easy to ride if a little boring. Which is ideal for me.
Braaaaap by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

This is the project, its 50% rust I reckon and I'm really on the fence about whether to pour money into it. Although it has really grown on me and I've been following a Guzzi page on FB and I'm really liking the brand and the bikes. Also the project was meant to be about restoring/customising something and as I got it for zilch I have a fair margin before I lose anything. I'd be investing in WD40 shares if I was you BTW.

And this isn't mine but it was the bike I was on toady and I loved it. A couple of guys I know that owned Diversions liked them and even though its my only big bike experience I can see why.

Re: Re:

RobMac":4dfyi70c said:
Nice on chief :)
Did you spot my post about putting one of my bikes back on the road next year as its a big birthday :cool:

I did that, how many are dormant? Got a list?

Back