Show us what you did today, thread

epicyclo":2o9py3me said:
A very tough climb on a singlespeed. I think I'm going to regret it tomorrow..

Lots of respect for that. My knees are swelling up just thinking about it.

You don't appear to have taken a tent, so I presume you are freewheeling home, or counting on a warm night!

highlandsflyer":1s1rl3ug said:
epicyclo":1s1rl3ug said:
A very tough climb on a singlespeed. I think I'm going to regret it tomorrow..

Lots of respect for that. My knees are swelling up just thinking about it.

You don't appear to have taken a tent, so I presume you are freewheeling home, or counting on a warm night!

Putting up a tent tomorrow a.m. because Jamie is coming down. He's soft and wants shelter so I am reluctantly giving up the opportunity to mingle with the midges and forego the gentle drip of highland dew before dawn.* :)

*And you bet I'll be going home. :)

Well, I realise we are about to start the SSEC 2017 Champs tomorrow but thought I would post these pics and a brief write up of last Sundays ride.
Last Sunday Brian and myself decided as the forecast was good we would do a ride up my way. Eventually the route chosen was a road one heading out from Thurso to Melvich and then riding down to Forsinard or even Helmsdale if we had time.
The ride was originally going to be on my Big Dummy and Brian on his TD1 Ti machine but I decided on a more randonnuer route and couldn't help but chose the ever faithful, reliable and comfortable Long Haul Trucker.
I knew we were going to have some headwind heading down the Strath valley but was not prepared for the ever increasing scale of it. It didn't feel that strong as it wasn't gusting but when you looked at the speed it was certainly hard going.
After meeting Brian and heading to Melvich we turned south and onto the gently rolling country that would have us following the river nearly all the way to Forsinard where we planned to have a look at the viewing building looking over the flow country wetlands and see how we were for time.
It may have been windy but it was a really nice day for a ride, nice temps and sunny, though the cloud cover increased as the day went on, with rain forecast for the evening.
It was our usual casual ride stopping every now and again for a picture or to check the map to see where various dirt tracks led to, etc. We spotted a Golden eagle on one section, it was further along the road being harassed in flight by a couple of crows. Very nice to see.
We spent a while in Forsinard and rode out to the viewing building, which is a bit of a way out and has a boardwalk pathway over the wet swampy ground. We rode out and shared the view with a couple of birdwatchers. We took a few photos and had a chat before heading back. The visitors centre was closed and with the hotel being long shut down there was only the tea room for something to eat. We decided to drink our water bottles and instead had a lunch of a banana, cheese twist and a snickers each, thanks Brian ;)
By this stage the clouds had increased and the wind was picking up as well as cooling down a bit so it was decided to make our way back the way we came. We certainly made some time up on the way back as in the open section we were riding along chatting like normal, only to look down and realise we were cruising, barely putting in any effort doing 33 - 36 kph. Stopped once or twice for cars on the way back, to let them pass as this is a singletrack road, but we saw hardly any cars all day on this road.
Another nice day out just putting in some nice easy miles in a nice part of the country. Thanks Brian for joining me.
Here's some photos and as usual, if anyone wants to join us next time just drop me a line and we'll let you know when we are going somewhere. Usually it's just decided add hoc a few days before.

Jamie

DSCN3845 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3849 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3851 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3860 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Some open country to be pushing into a headwind :)
DSCN3863 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3864 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3867 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3873 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

A lot of boardwalk
DSCN3875 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3877 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3878 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

View from above
DSCN3882 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3885 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

The headwind was quite deceptive. Because it was warm(ish) it didn't feel so bad, and was the sort you could ride into all day.

But it was noticeable enough that we had to pedal downhill - no cruising. As for the way back, it was like having an e-bike. :)

Adding some more photo's from SSEC 2017
These were taken by Tom Winterbottom and the side on one of me riding was by someone else whose name I have mislaid.
This is the macretro crew in fine form at SSEC 2017.
We missed Jimo, but there is always next year in Holland ;)

DSCN3887 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3888 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3896 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

18738510_1374881259224233_1674588582187874935_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

18814806_1374885575890468_594447715505474999_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

18768318_1374879589224400_8249934132184959544_o by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nice through the woods action pics there, showing a nice day for it. :cool:
Unfortunately I dont think any of you saw it from the looks of concentration :LOL: Jamie dressed to match the bike
How were the woods ? The usual coolness with a heavy spruce aroma :cool:

As complete :D Well just the brake hoses to shorten, but thats a job for someone else.

@Velo. We're about the same height. How, or what rather do you think on this. Could it be down to the older straight to tube over the modern sloping

Short stem makes for a bit loose :? Once im up to speed its ok, but beginning it feels very light :?

Attachments

• DSCF2388 (1) (Custom).JPG
    DSCF2388 (1) (Custom).JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 530
Back