Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

kaiser":2puy2oqs said:
Loch Doon loop any interest in an organised ride?

I had to google Loch Doon . Yes I'd be interested as long as I'm not working and can get a pass from the fun polis

Hi guys and the ladies, of course.
Unfortunately today I was unable to get all the way down to Selkirk for the Border Randonee Audax. Due to having to go to Inverness on Thursday for Heather and then catching up yesterday and not getting away in time to get down and get accommodation sorted for the 8am start. Sometimes life just gets in the way and has other plans ;)
So after doing a few things chore wise around here, rebuilding and old road hub and then eating a late lunch and watching Milan San Remo, I managed a late ride out on the Merckx.
After what seems like ages riding the Trucker, Big Dummy and even the Mercian it was great to be back on my old faithful Corsa. Lightweight, fits like a glove, rolls and changes slick, just nice. Sometimes it is all about the bike.
A few hours in the fading light around the coast, dodging showers and blowing off cobwebs from the week and regret and disappointment from not getting to Selkirk. A great ride and with the constant showers around me and the changing light made for a great skyline.
Had a nice ride to nowhere in particular, so just thought I would share.
Hope the weather was good with everyone else

Jamie

DSCN3464 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3469 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3475 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3481 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3478 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3483 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3484 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Well another day and another changeable type of forecast. Woke this morning to it really coming down, heavy and consistent.
After heading out for lunch with the family and between showers taking the dog out, it started to show signs of it being sunny for longer periods.
Decided that I would head out for a bit, do a rough type loop to the south and inland and maybe head back along the coast as it was really crazy wind blowing about 30mph. can't escape the wind up here so I manned up and decided to head straight into it and then if I needed to get back quickly I would get the benefit on the return run. I was really just meandering and thought I would take a couple of back roads and some gravel as well rather than just push into a wind on the open country up here. While it has been quite wet, the wind was so strong it was drying the tarmac out quickly as well as some of the gravel stretches. Out from the loft came the Mercian as I wanted to see about it's setup and how to improve it as it's still pretty much cobbled together build wise and I do have some new Nitto stuff ready for it.
Ride started sunny, though the wind was pretty bitter and after cruising a long for about an hour or so, always into this wind, I stopped after one of the local villages and noticed that the rain was sweeping across the coast where I was headed. Went a few more miles and noticed that it was closing in on me pretty quickly. Decided to turn and race it back, as I could see it was already closer to my place than I was on the coast.
It was a very fast ride back, one of those where I turned around and was moving along an open stretch thinking that the wind had died down, only to see my speed up a long gentle rise was almost double what it was rolling down it :)
I also felt the wind when about a mile from home I turned across it and it took me from one side of the road to the other, and then I felt the rain drops. Just made it back and even took a pic out front of home as you could barely see the water let alone Hoy across it.
Hope the weather was better with everyone else, but hey, any rides better than no ride :)

Jamie

Starting out looking south west, storm had passed so a clear window opened.
DSCN3486 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3488 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

A short stretch of gravel
DSCN3491 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Turned round, rain coming back in
DSCN3495 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Rain coming off the water, closer to home than I am
DSCN3498 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking back to the south west just before home and taken not far from where the first one in this post was taken.
DSCN3500 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Out front of home and can barely see the coast or water let alone Hoy.
DSCN3502 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Went south yesterday for what has become a regular randonneur type day ride with Brian.
I was on my faithful Long Haul Trucker and Brian on his Ti 29'er set up for audax with a hub gear. So both steel and retro in style and feel. This was one of Brians road rides, so this time I came prepared, I had lights, a long mudflap and a new bell, though I was a bit worried as Brian had fitted mudguards to the 29'er :shock:
It was clearly the first day of spring proper as the temps were up around 14 and the sun was out, no wind, it was pretty bloody amazing for up here and even the drive down was glorious.
The ride, like most of ours had a vague route through the Ross shire hills to the west of Dingwall, Brian's home village, to find an old historic tower, supposedly cursed by a seer back in the days when Macbeth had his castle in Dingwall.
Our ride started in Dingwall and we round around the shore before turning inland. We crossed a few pretty big hills sticking mainly to singletrack and dirt backroads and at one point to get to the tower from the western side we had to use Brians GPS and Ordinance Survey maps on his phone to take to the dirt singletrack over the top of a pretty big hill and swampy top section to emerge out of a field about 100 metres from the tower, we could have come up from the other side on the dirt road, but that would have been too easy ;) The route really went in a circuitous route around 2/4 of Ben Wyvis, it was always there in the background. We didn't really get away until after lunch and so didn't get back until it had just gone dark but thankfully for Brian the last few kilometres are on the cycle route through Dingwall.
Just such a lovely afternoon ride and while we ride these roads and tracks quite often the views always look different. The estate tracks/roads to the west of Dingwall were really lovely, no one for miles and miles, the road snaking along and up beside the river. Found a great campsite and would be really nice to hold a sort of 2 day ride with a campout there.
Anyway here's a few photos, and hope everyone else is enjoying the weather as well.
Todays looking great as well, so a ride on the Mercian might bring the retro back on line :)

Jamie

My drive south, heading for some hills
DSCN3505 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Brian near the site of Macbeths castle
DSCN3518 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Still some snow left
DSCN3528 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3537 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3547 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3551 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3556 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Camera on timer ;)
DSCN3558 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3561 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Road ride he said ?
DSCN3562 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3570 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

We had done a bit of climbing as this view of Wyvis shows
DSCN3571 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

The Tower
DSCN3576 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Suns going down...
DSCN3581 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back onto dual lane and race the sun
DSCN3585 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Another fab lot of photos Jamie.
Unfortunately missing out this weekend, as I'm down in Glasgow on family duty. Hoping the weather holds out as I've a few days off coming up and need to get out.

I think it's meant to last for a few days Clubby. It's meant to cloud over up here during today but down south is meant to stay clear for a couple of days.
It was 17.5 degrees as I got to Brians and when I drove home last night, about a mile from home it was -2.5 Nice here just now though.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":34rgttwm said:
I think it's meant to last for a few days Clubby. It's meant to cloud over up here during today but down south is meant to stay clear for a couple of days.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back