MOTOR CHAT

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":gm0zmgil said:
What happened to the Lotus?

Cheers for the nice words :) , i had a good grounding as a mechanic and MOT tester from the late 80's to early 90's, the rest i've just picked up over the years messing with my own cars, i've always had some kind of project on the go.

Sadly the Lotus had to go last year, loved it and it drove excellent but really it needed restored, something i wasn't prepared to do, the Monster Discovery had to go too, the idea of buying the Firebird was to have just one money pit instead of a collection of money pits :) , i've hung onto my E34 for the longest as i love it but really that has to go as well so is on E bay just now (i bought a 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP to run about in), going to be keeping the Firebird a while once it's done.

MR OX":gm0zmgil said:
How've I missed this?
Currently putting this back together if I ever pull my finger out & find time

Maestro Turbo :cool: , very rare thing, i had an 87 MG 2.0EFI back in the late 90's, got all the body done (rear arches, all four doors, bumpers and tailgate all replaced), had it resprayed Ford Azure blue, was lowered on Moto-Build springs, it looked stunning and was quick for it's time, loved it but swapped it with a guy in Rutherglen for my first Firebird, done the deal in a friggin blizzard so didn't check the Firebird properly :roll: , next day i found the Firebird was pretty much a pile of junk :roll: , young and stupid.

jimihendrix":lakzw4fv said:
(i bought a 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP to run about in), going to be keeping the Firebird a while once it's done.

I have a very peculiar attraction to Pandas (The cars, not real ones or Mr's) The 100hp looks like a hoot and the 4X4. How is it?

kaiser":31fohhvm said:
jimihendrix":31fohhvm said:
(i bought a 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP to run about in), going to be keeping the Firebird a while once it's done.

I have a very peculiar attraction to Pandas (The cars, not real ones or Mr's) The 100hp looks like a hoot and the 4X4. How is it?

I've always been drawn to small Fiats as my first car was a 127 (a 1978 1050CL), also had a Cinquecento Sporting a while ago and loved that.

Fancied the 100HP Panda since they first came out, very good review by EVO Magazine sealed it, they had one on long term test and five of the staffers ended up buying their own.

Mine has been great so far (only bought it in December though), i think the standard Panda is pretty grim but the 100HP is a fair bit different and comes with loads of kit, it's not fast but pretty nippy (like an old school hot hach), it's very short geared (in 5th by 30mph), i find i have mine in sport mode permanently, they are pretty rare as only 2000 were sold in the uk so not an everyday sight which appeals to me. Great fun to drive but also pretty good on the motorway, the ride has been criticized but it's not so bad if you have driven an original Mini or a lowered VW Beetle.

Mine is on 69,000 miles, drivers seat bolster has broken off the seat frame (easy fix though) also rear bump stops are detatched, common faults and things to watch out for if buying one, apart from regular timing belt changes they have no real vices.

Mine needs better tyres, budget ones fitted at the moment, (going for OEM spec Eagle F1's when i have the money, also going for a fruity exhaust (Ragazzoni) and a set of lowered springs.

Re:

Been to the auto shop today for some parts for the ST (rear discs & pads) although the old ones aren't quite done yet I'm just keeping on top of the maintenance thing.

Re:

I have been pleasantly surprised at Halfords prices lately, as it is all in, and have put new rubber on a half dozen vehicles with them. One of my biker mates works there, but I don't get a discount.

Back