MacRetro Newbies.... Introduce yourself here:

Re:

I'm pleased to confirm that this morning's South of Glasgow "MacRetro" ride out took place in glorious sunshine for the first five minutes. This was then followed by low cloud, rain and a jolly stiff breeze once up on the moors.

As planned, I met myself at Eaglesham and pressed on into the wind and up the first real climb of the day in classic one up formation. I alternated with myself at the front to get a bit of respite, but the road was quite busy as we turned side on to the wind on the top of the moor making any attempts to form a one man echelon too unrewarding.

The plan was to get a group photo at the top of the hill, but I couldn't get anyone to hold the camera in the rain and couldn't take a selfie because I'd gone out in shades (remember it was sunny) and couldn't see what I was doing on my phone (optical inserts, so no shades no vision at all).

I'm very upset about this as I'd pushed the boat out and had matched my outfit to Loud Cougar and was resplendent in Fluoro Orange, white and black helmet, Celeste coloured Campagnolo L/S jersey and my favourite white dancing shoes.

Over the top we went and only had to pedal most of the time on the way down. Headed out to a couple of Ayrshire villages and then spun round for the return leg. We were working hard taking turn about with myself and averaged at least 22 on the way back to the botom of the hill (although this is a guess as I forgot to check my speedo). Over the top we go, but this time wind assisted and it was easy to overhaul a couple of mamils on crapbon bikes. "Steel is real!" I shouted to myself once out of earshot.

Came back down the hill at well over 40 and then spent the last mile or so hauling on the brakes having shat myself hitting a little pothole at full pelt. Luckily, both myself and I braked at the same time, so there was no one man pile up.

Once back down in Eaglesham, I bade farewell to my riding partner and headed off for the 10 mile trip home. Only forty miles today, but given the breezea reasonable workout nonetheless.

Very good write up and sounds like a great ride, a real macretro ;)
The type of, you have to laugh otherwise you will be found rocking gently sobbing on the side of the road. :)

Jamie

Re:

Morning. Jonny walker here. Aka baronsouthside. I ride mainly to and from Rutherglen to my work. Recently uploaded pics on the readers road bike section of my 87 Concord Aquila with a '94 campag Stratos and my '88 Edinburgh bicycle cooperative continental 12 speed. I've got a 88 Peugeot Aravis 531pro frame and forks ready to build with an 88 shimano 105 groupset. Pictures of that to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_8091.JPG
    IMG_8091.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 6,906
Welcome aboard Jonny
A very nice collection indeed. Hope to see you out on one of our very rare macretro road rides.
They are rare but unofficially all the cools macretro's ride their road bikes all the time ;)
Just give someone local a shout or we are hopeful of another ride near Killin in September.
There's also the randonneur ride next weekend up near Applecross.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1x9owrj3 said:
Welcome aboard Jonny
A very nice collection indeed. Hope to see you out on one of our very rare macretro road rides.
They are rare but unofficially all the cools macretro's ride their road bikes all the time ;)
Just give someone local a shout or we are hopeful of another ride near Killin in September.
There's also the randonneur ride next weekend up near Applecross.

Jamie

Welcome to Retrobike Jonny!

There's an opportunity for a Glasgow area road ride next Saturday. Glasgow-Gretna or any part thereof.

Sunday & Monday will be crossing into NW & N WALES territory

So far, its me and...me.

More details here (caution: includes moaning about kidney stones) http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=371837

Back