Show us what you did today, thread

I unfortunately have not been able to make the Strathpuffer 24 hour or Kaisers Bawbags this weekend due to ...life...
I did however get out yesterday for a few hours in the afternoon on the Big Dummy. It was a glorious day up here, very clear which meant it was also very cold, I think it topped out at 2 or 3 degree or so. Had a afternoon out, stopped at a guys house who was looking at the Dummy and over a coffee he showed me a bike he has buried in his chicken shed, a bit of a state but hopefully it will soon be coming to mine for a clean and refurb as it's a really nice machine and it's in my size. I just have to negotiate with the hens :)
I then met up with Heather, Caleb and friends not too far from home but ended up being out longer than I thought and the sun was slowly going which meant I had to head for home quickly as while the Dummy has it's tail lights, all my other lights were packed in a bag in preparation for the Strathpuffer, which meant they were still sitting in the house
:(
Stopped and took a pic of the lovely clear sunset, really nice and then last night about 11 the northern lights were in full swing over Orkney.
Not a bad day considering I started it thinking I should have been somewhere else. A reason for everything.
Last week on Surlys blog they have the Friday dump and my picture of the Dummy under the moon was in it :)

Jamie
DSCN3337 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamiedyer":3lwmclt9 said:
...which meant I had to head for home quickly as while the Dummy has it's tail lights, all my other lights were packed in a bag in preparation for the Strathpuffer, which meant they were still sitting in the house...

It's strange how a ride with Jamie always seems to end up no lights and twilight fading fast....

Well this afternoon I was out on then LHT for a while just putting in some miles. It was a nice morning, bloody cold, and then after sorting a few things at home with the family I headed out. It was still fairly cold but a fairly obvious front was coming in from the north west. As I was heading home it all of a sudden got a bit darker as the clouds rolled in and felt colder as the wind picked up a notch or two. Not too bad and as usual it was better than not getting out at all.
I also stopped on the way home to negotiate with the hens a bit more. All I will say is it was eggcellent and I may get it for chicken feed, but that's enough, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch ;)

Jamie

Look how unusual I'm facing into the wind, and here is the clouds ;)
DSCN3343 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

I bet you're eggcited to lay your hands on that bike. Does it have egg-shaped chainrings perchance?? ;)

Re:

Today I was down in Yorkshire for the North East, North, and West Yorkshire Retrobike ride aka the "Ravenscar Railway Ride" which follows a disused railway route from just north of Scarborough to Robin Hoods Bay.
It's about 10 miles each way, easy going on decent tracks, and with some great views of the Yorkshire coast, weather was a bit murky but at least it didn't rain.
There was a fantastic turnout of 18!! riders I think, on a mix or retro and modern bikes.
Our ride was halted at the top of the hill leading to Robin Hoods Bay by security for some film with Daniel Day Lewis in it as they were filming a few scenes, once done we tested our brakes on the (very) steep road descent into the village, where we surprised the local Chippy with a motley crew of bikers all ordering fish & chips :LOL: which we then ate down on the beach.
Suitably weighed down with cod & chips we then tackled the steep climb out of Robin Hoods Bay and followed our tracks back to the start, where a post-ride bike jumble of sorts took place :) I thought I had a problem with acquiring surplus parts but I felt a bit better after seeing the amount of "retro tat" some folks had brought with them! :LOL:
All in all a really enjoyable ride, caught up with some old faces, and met some new ones.

Photos...

Stopped whilst they finished filming. Looks more like the lineup for the start of a retro mtb race eh? :LOL:

"Harrycrumb's" retro Giant Sierra seemed to blend in with the "Olde Worlde" ambience of the chip shop...

Robin Hoods Bay village, tucked away against the coastline...

Attachments

• 20170128_104150-800x450.jpg
    20170128_104150-800x450.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_111557-800x450.jpg
    20170128_111557-800x450.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_121039-800x450.jpg
    20170128_121039-800x450.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_122314-600x1067.jpg
    20170128_122314-600x1067.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_124951-800x450.jpg
    20170128_124951-800x450.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_125015-800x450.jpg
    20170128_125015-800x450.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170128_135443-800x450.jpg
    20170128_135443-800x450.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 275
It certainly does look like a great retro ride and as Keith says, what a great turnout.
Looks and sounds like a good day out with some nice people, and also some nice machines hiding in those photos as well.
I take it that it was worth the trip down then :)

Jamie

Well today I was supposed to be riding with Brian but unfortunately that just didn't work at as we had hoped and most likely for the best as the weather up here was not the forecast sunshine with no wind, in fact it was raining and slightly windy on and off all day. More on than off.
While I must admit there was no riding done today, though there was a lot of bike fettling going on. I visited my friend yesterday and between us and his chickens I managed to leave the hen house with my new project. It was in the side shed to the henhouse, not where they were actually roosting but as you can see, not far from it. Luckily it was partially covered and lucky for me it was an eggstremely good deal for me ;)
It's a Jack Taylor Super Clubman, which is very similar to the frame I was buying a couple of years ago from Alabama, though not quite in the same condition. Things didn't work out then but hey, patience pays off. It even has the original Jack Taylor rack.
It had been ridden and loved and then life just got in the way so it was covered and put in the shed many years ago. It has a lot of surface rust spots and all the little nuts and bolts are rusted, fixings on things like the mechs are all shot and while it's all just there on the surface, there is a lot. After a good wash down to see what was underneath I was well pleased. It certainly came up better than I thought it would and the wheels are really nice. I was pleasantly surprised when the seatpost just slide straight out and the stem just needed one gentle tap. There is only one rear mudguard bolt that I am soaking as its a flat screwdriver head and is stuck.
Definitely a work in progress and definitely a keeper though it will be a slow build over time as I will put nicer stuff back on it I think. I will evaluate the paint and whether to keep as is and wax or repaint later.
Anyway I thought I would share, I know most aren't into the road stuff but this is something I have been looking for, for a while now and it is retro. Also to find one similar to what I was going to bring in from Alabama 3 years ago, just about a mile down the road from me up here in the middle of nowhere, and in my size. Well I certainly started my Chinese New Year in style :)

Jamie

Before
DSC_1655 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1652 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1649 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1654 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

After a wash and strip
DSC_1669 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1675 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Hey Jamie that's a cool bike, and a real "barn find" :)
Be sure to put some oil on that chain though ;)
I'm in Yorkshire visiting family so just timed my trip to coincide with a Retrobike ride.

Back