Show us what you did today, thread

Jamiedyer":ptdwf720 said:
Loch Etive?

And Clubby, many congratulations on the new addition :) Looks very nice, very fast even standing still, . Sounds like a good buy and must admit, you never hear anything but good reviews for Merida. Their road stuff is really nice.
Lucky man, enjoy!

Jamie

Indeedy, from Armaddy about half way up Loch Etive looking towards the Glencoe hills :D

Re:

Thought it looked familiar, even though I lived on the other side :)
My canoe could probably find its own way round there :)

Don't know about you Mr P but I certainly miss living there.

Jamie

clubby":1liwe4x8 said:
Picked up new bike

30507890173_c89538cf1c_c.jpg

Hadn't planned on replacing Jones so soon, but had been in to see my mate at lbs and he'd just got in the low end version as a demo bike. Had a wee spin round the block and looked at next model up. Went for the mid range one but still good spec for money. Nice alloy frame, Rock Shox Yari 130mm forks, SLX/XT drivetrain with huge 11-46t cassette and high end Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8 tyres. Brakes are Deore which don't have great lifespan by all accounts, and dropper post is a rebranded Trand X, but is at least internal and has shifter like lever. Got mates rates on it, so cost less than I got for the Jones, so money left for upgrades when needed.

Hoping to get out tomorrow for proper ride.

that is really nice clubby, very swoopy! and i thought my 11-42 looked big! :shock:
yeah you could spec up a few parts on that easily :cool:
clutch mech and a wee chain guide too, no fear that chain ever dropping then!
what size chainring is that?

Re:

30, but I think with the 46, that 32 or 34 would be better. Was spinning out top pretty easily on even slight downs. Keep it on until it worn out though. Good first ride this morning. Feels like a normal bike but with extra traction. Sounds obvious but what I mean is it doesn't feel as steamrollery as 29+ or full fat, but has the nimbler handling of 650b. Good to have suspension forks on it, the Yari's feel identical to my more expensive Pikes. Maybe they won't be as composed when really pushed but I'm not exactly on the limit all ride every ride. The cheap dropper is the only one I've ever had that had had no side wobble even from new. Time will tell, but impressed so far.
Tyres are great. Tread is a mix of Ardent and High Roller 2. Not hugely muddy today, but I did try some off piste trails and had no issues with grip. Roll a lot better than the Dirt Wizard I had on the Jones. Glad I spent the time yesterday setting them tubeless. Took a co2 cartridge to seat them but held perfectly overnight. May need to ask Santa for an Airshot inflator. Weighed the tubes I took out and they came to 726g! Even with two layers of tape, valves and 100ml stand fluid per wheel that's 500g saved plus the actual main benefits of tubeless. Also now have two nice maxxis inner tubes as spares.

Re:

Looks lovely mate. Also impressed with merida, 1st hire bike we had in aviemore was a wee basic merida HT for shona to learn on even that just seemed pretty sorted.

3 weeks till I'm allowed out on the intense lol!

Re:

Looks like it'll be a blast. After a few years now decrying that the hardtail was dead to me since full sus is so good I'm finding myself looking again. What do you think of the SLX stuff? Looks good to me.

Never mind the airshot, make your own :)
DSC_0097 by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

Re: Re:

kaiser":18guwi6z said:
Never mind the airshot, make your own :)
DSC_0097 by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

Thanks but for the sake of 50 quid I like my body parts where they are :)

SLX rear mech feels like my last XT one and I like the machined face on the cranks rather than the black finish of XT. Shifter is XT and metal paddle feels nice. Cassette shifts well apart from up into the biggest cog where you need to ease off and be very positive with shift. To be fair it's only needed as a bail out gear, so not much of an issue.

Re: Re:

clubby":2jdfth7f said:
jimo746":2jdfth7f said:
clubby":2jdfth7f said:
To be fair it's only needed as a bail out gear, so not much of an issue.

Yer ridin the wrong kind o' hills laddie! :LOL:

Hills are for riding down, not up :)

Uphill is the Ying to the downhill Yang... ;)

Attachments

• f61b79aa01452dc127e87f24970fffaf.jpg
    f61b79aa01452dc127e87f24970fffaf.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 218
Back