Show us what you did today, thread

Yesterday Brian and I rode the Highland 100 Audax.
This Audax was put on by Velocity café in Inverness, for anyone who knows the place or frequents it, it is a great place and very much a hub for what's going on cycling wise in Inverness. This being so, I am sure we weren't the only ones looking forward to this.
Brian had mentioned this to me a while back and we quickly paid our £5 entry, which it said entitled us to coffee and cake at the end of the ride , back at the café.
I must mention as well that it soon turned out that this wasn't an officially sanctioned Audax UK ride, but that didn't matter to us and it actually just made it a bit more relaxed not having brevets to stamp and times to check etc, more just a casual ride.
As usual I didn't quite read all the small print and noted a few of the mileage points, and as like all audaxs, they were in kilometres, which I like as that's what the rest of us everywhere else in the world use and love ;) I mention this as there were two distance options a 100 and a 50. With Brian still getting over the problem with his leg, he suggested the 50 would be a better option. I thought, whatever, I will ride with Brian, no matter the distance, though I did think we would be finished by lunch with a 50klm. Turns out it was 54 miles not kilometres so we ended up doing about 96klm on the route and just on 100 I think by back at the car. This was good enough for me as there was a fair amount of climbing involved.
It was an 8 am start at a tapas restaurant just next to the castle in central Inverness, there was free coffee and even free bacon and egg omelette for those inclined. There seemed to be around 30 riders of varying degrees of seriousness awaiting pushing off.
The weather forecast was for a cool start but a clear sunny day and I must say, it was absolutely glorious weather. The clouds cleared and the sun was still pushing out quite a bit of heat for this time of year. There didn't really seem to be anyone in charge or leading during the day but we all had our route maps etc by email so everyone seemed to know where they were going. Any tricky junctions then people would wait for people they knew or like us, just to make sure someone behind knew where they were heading.
The route left Inverness and headed south on the eastern side of Loch Ness but up on the higher inland roads. Very quiet single track roads covering the same route we had ridden in the spring. It went round several lochs and then we came over a brow and onto the road that drops down to Dores. Loch Ness looked pretty good from up here, very autumnal and very still due to the lack of wind. A couple of pics and we were off with a few others for a welcome bit of downhill as we sped down the steep descent into Dores. From there we headed south to the suggested lunch stop at Forres, which was about 10 miles further down the Loch. The majority of it was along the edge of the loch so was a nice run but it got quite cool as it was always shaded with no chance of the sun getting down into these reaches. By the time I climbed the very steep climb in Forres I was desperately needing my lunch and I think the fact that all I could think about was fish and chips, meant I needed some salt. Brian agreed with the wish for some chips but thankfully we resisted and went on to the café at the bottom of the hill on the south side and ate a very civilised lunch of soup, 1/2 sandwich and a cake with a latte. It seemed indulgent, especially as I knew that the road back inland from here climbed and ramped up for many kilometres, so thought it might be an expense for something I wouldn't possess for very long ;)
I left lunch feeling very much revived and as this was the halfway point I knew we had a good distance still to cover with a lot of climbing involved, I was looking forward to it as I hadn't ridden these sections of roads before. Lovely roads, very quiet, some fast descents but more often than not there was some short but very sharp ascents. All were ridden, albeit some slower than others. This and a few more photo stops and the pace was a bit slower than the morning but we knew we had plenty of time, though the pace for the section with about 20klm to go seemed very quick, fairly flat and then just push on. The route then took a minor sort of road and this was a sting, just when you thought you were done. The road had a very sharp uphill bend to the left, short and steep, then a brow and once over this brow you could see the road went steadily uphill for almost a kilometre, it looked worse than it was, but it was a definite FFS! moment. Thankfully this was followed with a very rapid downhill into Inverness, where we made our way back to Velocity and enjoyed our free latte and banana cake. We certainly got our £5 entry given back in coffee and cake between the start and the end.
So after all that waffle, it was a very enjoyable ride and it was nice to meet new riders and catch up with some I know. It was such a nice day between the route, which was challenging with so much climbing in a relatively short distance, the nice mix of people, nationalities and of course the weather, combined with such beautiful scenery, it was just one of those really good days where everything aligns.
I hope everyone else has had a good one as well, and even if you couldn't get away for a ride, I hope you had some of this good weather where ever you were.
Thanks to Brian once again for, a: suggesting this b: suggesting the 50 instead of the 100 and c: for the bed and breakfast.

Jamie

(Some of the pics are Brians, not all are mine)

DSCN2945 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

B2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2950 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2953 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2956 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

B4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Downhill into the lunch stop and uphill out
DSCN2962 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2965 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

B7 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2976 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2978 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2984 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2991 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2994 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Not far now :)
B5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Fitted Calebs Yepp seat back onto the Trucker and headed out for a few miles in the lovely sunny weather we have had.
Heather was at Mey market today so we headed there as Caleb wanted to go for a ride and see mum. He knows there is cake there and things to spend his pocket money on.
Had to take the chain off this morning and clean it and then dry lube it as yesterday it ended up bone dry and squeaking away. Took off and lubed the jockey wheels while I was at it. Worked great today and all was quiet thankfully, as I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't my bottom bracket. Nice ride once again on the Trucker.

DSCN2999 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2998 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

...and it was nice to meet new riders...

Jamie finding it nice to meet new riders. :)

It was quite a cosmopolitan riding group, 3 Australians and assorted continentals who haven't yet sewn on their Brexit stars.

That's why we are out getting the rides in before Mrs May rounds us up. :)

That picture alone has 2 Aussies, an Irish and a German and, we didn't walk into a bar anywhere?
;)

Jamie

Brilliant guys.... I know that Dores hill well, used to ride it regular as a kid pretending i was was Robert Millar or Greg Lemond. Missed you by a day in Forres, we passed through on Sunday on a little adventure that I'll share some words and pics on when I catch up on some sleep. Forres brought back a lot of memories as well, I used to ride 10 mile TTs there 27 years ago :facepalm:

Look forward to hearing about your adventure Gmac :)
Hope the weather was good for you as well as it was one of those really great days that stand out for me.
That 10 mile TT would have been hard going if the wind was against you, though that 10 mile from Dores to Forres would be nice as a large section is just either flat or slightly rolling. I was riding a fair bit of it in almost time trial mode, just sitting at a really nice steady cadence. Not fast mind, just steady ;)

Jamie

C'mon Gmac, where's your adventure posted or have I missed it?

After doing the audax run the Sat before last and then out with Caleb on the Sunday, I had the week off work and along with Heather and Caleb we journeyed south to Loch Lomond for a few days r&r at the inlaws. No bikes unfortunately but we did take the canoe :)
It was originally planned to take the camping gear and do a bit of canoeing and a bit of camping but due to Heather having a chest infection the week before and Caleb only just over a bad cold it was decided not to camp, just paddle.
Well that wasn't such a bad choice as the later part of the week was, pish, as in pishing doon :)
We did get a couple of paddles in, just lightweight, no real gear like usual, just the bare minimum (and snacks ) so caleb got to try his new seat and Heather got to use her newest paddle. We dodged a few showers when we were out and once as I was unstrapping the canoe at Balmaha, the heavens opened, so it was left on the roof while we ate at the hotel. I filled my disappointment with cake.
It was a good few days away, Mon to Sat, spent catching up with friends, paddling ( a bit )and me doing the rounds of Tiso, Dales, etc along with a few other canoe and bike shops.

Jamie

DSC_1557 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3002 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3008 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Took the new bike out for a damn good thrashing both on and off-road. Surprising how well it goes off-road on the 28c road slicks, can't wait to try some cx tyres on it now!.
I saw one review that said it was reminiscent of riding an old 90's mtb, I can agree with that, except with this the brakes actually stop you (very well indeed!) and the handling is great, my retro bike feels very twitchy and nervous by comparison but this thing is easy to ride :D

Attachments

• 20161022_151716-800x450.jpg
    20161022_151716-800x450.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 339
Back