SPD cleats

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Any tricks to remove SPD cleats , bolts are rounded and cleats need replacing .

arg!

It's the hardest job in the world...ever! My tip is to remove cleats after every ride (preventative!) - but given it's too late for that, the only thing you can do I believe is drill them out but you need a diamond tipped drill bit to do it (well something like that anyway!) as they seem to be made of the toughest steel in the world!

sorry not much help here. but I can sympathize!

Yeah, had this a few times. I now try and make my shoes/cleats last the same time :LOL:

Otherwise its a high speed drill through the top - I think a 5mm takes the head off IIRC, and the threaded part then is easy to remove as no tension (assuming it was greased....)

Otherwise its smaller drill in middle of bolt and fight it. Worst case results in shoe plate getting knackerd, which depending on shoe is either - big issue, or just replace, as sole comes out.

Sidi never used to have replaceable plates, but IIRC the old Shimano shoes you could.

This is my biggest gripe, actually my only gripe with SPD

they have to be seriously tough to work with this metal. getting a small drill bit in in the first place is a job in itself...

ive never had to drill any cleats out, & ive seen some in a right state. it really is an act of desperation to drill anything out.

ive removed loads of stuck cleats over the years, mainly by using a pin, to completley clean every tiny piece of dirt that is wedged in the allen hole, then using a BRAND NEW allen key (not one thats even been used once!). using a cobblers last helps, but otherwise stick your hand inside, then its all about technique, apply tons on downward pressure, (sounds obvious-i know, but twisting to much is what rounds 'em off) & they should pop.

Back