Road Rear Mech (Ultegra) and MTB Shifter (Deore) -

Fleecy1978

Dirt Disciple
I've acquired a secondhand 9sp road rear mech which I want to use with a 9sp MTB rear shifter (its on my commuter, so the rear cassette is ultegra & close ratio) - anybody know if that combination of kit will work, or does the MTB shifter pull too much cable etc?

Thanks

hell yeah, i use a saint shifter with an ultegra rear mech on my downhill bike. as long as its the same speed it will work fine.

all works fine. Road mech has a smaller 'capacity' thats all, so is les tolerant of crossover gears. Run the chain length so you can just do Big/ big. It'll then run slack on the smalls. If you run it the other way around, you'll rip off the mech if you accidentally try to run for the big-big combo

I ran a Shimano 600 Ultegra rear mech on my MTB with the home-made 8-speed upgrade round about 91.... Can see why this belongs to the FAQ.

But you can't combine a Shimano road front mech with (indexed) MTB shifters.

Campagnolo Record Ultra Front mech

Talking about Road mechs being compatible with MTB Kit, does anyone know if a Campagnolo Front Mech will work ok with a XTR shifter ?? or would there be some issues, I refer to a Triple Road Front Mech, I think the Record is available in Triple, please correct me if I am wrong (I am sure you will)..

It won't work well, if you can get it to work atall....

It'd probbably just about work on a double, but on a triple I can't see it working.

Re: Campagnolo Record Ultra Front mech

Sithlord":3uoirg0g said:
Talking about Road mechs being compatible with MTB Kit, does anyone know if a Campagnolo Front Mech will work ok with a XTR shifter ?? or would there be some issues, I refer to a Triple Road Front Mech, I think the Record is available in Triple, please correct me if I am wrong (I am sure you will)..

My Dura-ace STI (8 speed) work with XC-Pro front mech on my Yeti! It should be fine!

Campag front works okay with Shimano shifters.
Camapg rear works well with Shimano shifters ONLY if you put the inner wire on the wrong side of the pinch bolt. This is my Campag Veloce running with Sora STI on my Road bike.

Campagnolo mech, over shimano spaced block, using Shimano STI cable routing:

Attachments

• Campano.jpg
    Campano.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 261
Back