Rattle can paint job?

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
How best to acheive a good finish on a bare metal bike frame.

I am thinking 3x coats of good quaility car primer, rubbed down with 1200grt paper between coats followed by 2x coats of top with rub down between, then 2 coats of top no rubbing and 1 x coat of laquer.

Will be using metallic silver and BMW Diamond Black.

Any better ideas or will this work okay?

Obviously it will be inside and 15c+.

Any advice gratefully received.

I always flat back between topcoat & laquer - & a couple of coats of laquer too. Not painted a bike frame before, used plenty of BMW paint though! :)

ya, 3 + coats primer, and I used two full cans of paint on the Homegrown, followed by a full can of clearcoat. Nothing's gonna keep it from getting nicked by rocks, though.

Yup, wet&dry the topcoat before applying the lacquer as the others said, and do a good couple of coats of lacquer too.

i would get a better primer if i was you i would only use etch high build primer on bare metal not the gray thinner than water stuff

3 coats of high build etch primer then flat with 1200 wet n dry 3-4 coats of top coat flat back with 1200 again then a couple of coats of lacuer you dont neally need to flat between the primer stage. are you using metalics if so if you want a nice deep metalic finish dust the last coat on then it will build the finish up when you clear coat it

whenever I've done this in the past & spent absolutely ages on prep. the paint always scratches off mega easy. given the amount of time & effort, if its not your pride & joy I'd get friendly with your local car body paint shop. £15 to get these forks done http://www.yetifan.com/scantfro3ws.jpg & the paints properly tough.

What exaclty is flat back? And when you guys refer to wet and dry are you actually meaning that you do one rub down wet and then another dry?
You mean wet right?

The only paint I have commonly found in cans that sticks well is appliance epoxy. It is usually done without primer and is basically tough as nails. The only downiside is you have to like white, black, harvest gold, or avocado. :twisted:

Back