Rusted frame

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I just received a stell frame which shows some signs of rust where the paint is damaged . I dont want to paint the whole frame . But I would like to protect the area where the paint is gone to stop the rust getting worse .

I imagine I have to brush the rust away , but after that I am not sure what to apply ?
any idea ?

You need to remove all of the rust back down to good metal, any pitting can be treated with products such as "rust remedy" or similar, apply primer and then fill the affected area with cellulose stopper and smooth over, sand down until the area is completely smooth and then respray.

If it's just a quick fix you want remove the rust and apply the rust preventer, but don't leave it an age til you treat it correctly. ;)

How much rust are we talking about?

Thanks ,

not a lot of rust except where the chain hit the frame . the whole stay needs doing .

I dont want to respray , just protect the frame where paint is gone .

Ah, chainslap damage? Chainsuck?

Get yourself down to somewhere like Motosave if you can, they'll have everything that you need to fix it up and are cheaper than Halfrauds.

Steve

So, are we to understand any spec of rust and that's what I've got, rust in a few places, should be sanded??

I can see with real rusty frames the need to sand but I wonder about little spots here and there, say, less than the size of your smallest fingernail. I don't mind sanding it if that is what it needs and is necessary.

if its light surface rust in small areas you might get good results using a kitchen scourer . or you could use a rust prevention/converter like kurust that is applied with a brush

Just what I wanted to know too, I am leaving the paint original on mine and will just spot repair under the down tube using this method!

thanks for the above guys,

also in this position at the moment. i take you amy need to build up the paint layers in some cases if the rust is deep?

also any advice in paint matching?

cheers

Back