Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Gear outer had the wires going down the length, held in place by a plastic sheath. However under heavy load (i.e. braking) the outer sheath can burst under compression. Not fun.
So brake cables are spiral wound so they cannot burst.

In order to make incompressible cables you would need t e spiral to prevent bursting around the longitudinal to resist compression.

A better solution was done by V brakes which pull twice as far and so use half the force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm 
Retro Guru

there was a thread here somewhere with fairly graphic pictures of why you should use the correct type of outers...... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:44 pm 
Retro Guru

found it but its been edited since... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... r+explodes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:39 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special

oh i just though the wire ones vs wound ones were just different brand, quality etc.! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:21 pm 
Retro Guru

Cable stuff I've discovered recently...

Jagwire, probably the widest range of colours and styles. Ebay is the best one stop source.

Fibrax make anodised cable ferrules/end caps. Pack of 50 assorted for about £12. They sell a pack for 5mm brake cable and 4mm gear cable. In reality they are exactly the same ferrules/end caps. The gear pack has an extra inner cap which fits prior to the anodised one. Come fitted with a waterproofing spigot (sadly too fat to fit through cable guides on both the Pace and my Cougar) but they push out easily enough. I bought a pack of each; naively expecting there to be 10x red, 10 x blue, green, silver and black. Not so - I think there is a more random element to packing at their factory. Jagwire also make very fancy anodised cable ferrules but I cannot find them in stock in the UK. Ebay will get you some via Hong Kong or somehwere equally exotic at great price for what they are.

Whenever possible buy stainless inner cables, fancier ss cables may be teflon coated (which look black).

V Brake noodles and boots. Shimano ones can be difficult to source. Avid noodles are a bit tight in shimano brakes, but do just about fit. If you buy noodle and boot kits the boots are very minimalist (and make very good replacements for XTR and XT rear mech boots). Dia Compe boots are cheaper and I think much nicer than the Shimano originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've seen split (longitudinally) gear cable, but not brake cable. I think brake cable must be capable of taking greater pressures than gear.

I wouldn't use gear for brakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Also been using heat shrink tubing for finishing cable ends. The 2.5 mm works well. Cheap, easy, quick, tidy.

You can also coax stray strands into it more easily than crimp ons.

Ben.