Cable question...

Mark_h4dng

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
any one help,

is there any reason why gear outer can't be used as brake outer, the cable still fits through, its just the winding is different,

any thoughts/ advice

cheers

compression , when you pull the lever the wound cable compresses , like a spring , and you lose power to the brakes

Gear cable outer is such for a reason, compression as mentioned above. It also resists being bent through too tight angle and thereby prevents a false shift when you turn.

Brake cable outer is much more flexible and can be bent much tighter as there is more 'tolerance' in a brake set up.

You could run gear outer for brake cable, just check if the cable runs impair the turning of the bars. Also gear cable outer rips the shit out of your frame, I'd not use it for that reason alone! Brake outer is much softer and kinder.

Cheers stick,

Its only as i can't get Grey brake outer, might just use it on the front brake as it only goes to the fork.

I have some left over XTR grey brake outer from building my Pace.

Let me know how much (within in reason) you need and I'll post it. PM me your address and I'll let Karma sort out the payment for it! ;)

What no one's mentioned yet is that the internal diameter of gear outer is smaller than brake outer. Gear is usually 1.1 or 1.2mm internally and brake is 1.5 or 2mm internally.

This means a brake cable in gear outer will have more drag on it and will need more looking after to keep it running smoothly.

Alternatively, Jagwire make gear and brake cable sets with identical outer casing.

Yes, I know.

I thought as this was a FAQ then it would be a good idea to have the info there for anyone else who had the same questions. ;)

Back