Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Gadro wrote:
Tallpaul wrote:
Entrants should really take a step back and think 'did I build this bike for the sole purpose of going downhill, fast?' Frankly, the answer for some is no (as evidenced by their spec and use). These entries should be withdrawn and saved for a more suitable month (never mind the fact we've all seen some of them entered several times before :roll: ).

Bang on 8)

I agree :twisted:
Downhill bikes are designed for going DOWN the hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
Retro Guru

well my yeti is definitely a DH bike so if you all vote for it then everyone will be happy!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:21 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

JeRkY wrote:
Gadro, I am liking the Carbon Lobo, makes mine look positively old hat. looking at it I am trying to work out if it is V & disc compatible. It was obviously a top frame of its time so it is interesting to see it would take V's as an option. (The 500 being disc only at the same vintage)

Jerky my '98 Lobo does have V Brake compatibility. I currently have X-Lite blanks in the brake mounts. I believe though that the Lobo came with Discs as standard but may (?????) have come with V's on very very very early production models. The V Brake option was there most probably for those riders still not 100% happy with the capability of new fangled Disc's, even though Discs were already a race proven technology

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Gadro wrote:
JeRkY wrote:
Gadro, I am liking the Carbon Lobo, makes mine look positively old hat. looking at it I am trying to work out if it is V & disc compatible. It was obviously a top frame of its time so it is interesting to see it would take V's as an option. (The 500 being disc only at the same vintage)

Jerky my '98 Lobo does have V Brake compatibility. I currently have X-Lite blanks in the brake mounts. I believe though that the Lobo came with Discs as standard but may (?????) have come with V's on very very very early production models. The V Brake option was there most probably for those riders still not 100% happy with the capability of new fangled Disc's, even though Discs were already a race proven technology

Its actually v brake only with a disc adapter and torque bar is it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

I like this BOTM just for the debate. No entry here. As a lover of 80's mtb's nothing comes to mind outside of some of the early not commercialy sucessful examples of rear suspension downhill riders. My thoughts on a true factory downhill bike (especially on a UK based forum) lead straight to a 1998 Kona Stab. It looks the part makes Johns ten year cut, and was not made for riding up the hill. I would think a Klunker in the Bomber style would be another excellent example of an early bike designed only for going downhill fast. My vote will be saved for the first quality early Stab shown or a well built Bomber style Klunker.
As always, all subject to change if a cooler bike I am not thinking of shows up instead......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

crud wrote:
Its actually v brake only with a disc adapter and torque bar is it not?

Yep but the '98 Thermoplastic Lobo came with front and rear discs, with a fancy Disc mount linked to the chainstay that's why I said very very early ones may have been in general production with V Brakes. The chainstay on mine does not have the Brace for the Rear Disc and looks like it was sold as V only. The person I bought the frame from told me that the bike was never built up and was exactly the same as when it was originally purchased. Looks like the adapter may have come with the frame as new.

I am now intrigued. Will take a quick look in the Catalogue and get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

i have pre-release photos of the full bike from a 97 issue of mbi, it shows v bosses and the torque arm disc brakes like yours..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:56 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Hmmm very interesting, just checked the '98 Catalogue and mine is different 8) :)

If you get chance would love a copy of that article

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Gadro wrote:
Hmmm very interesting, just checked the '98 Catalogue and mine is different 8) :)

If you get chance would love a copy of that article

il do my best :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

My old '99 Kona Stab

8) :twisted: 8) :twisted:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next