Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

February BoTM entrants
Cyb Giant Cadex CFM 1 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
cchris2lou Scrambler Line 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Sithlord Ritchey P20 16%  16%  [ 38 ]
Shamus Klein Adroit 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
oneschnark Ibis 17%  17%  [ 40 ]
densjo Volvo Cannondale 8%  8%  [ 19 ]
Arran American Comp Lite 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
hoegaardenadds1 GT LTS-DH 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
TiFat AMP B-3 9%  9%  [ 22 ]
SF Klein Klein Attitude 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
legrandefromage Saracen 531 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
felixdelrio Overbury’s Pioneer 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
raucherkette GT Timberline 7%  7%  [ 16 ]
BrunoD GT Tempest 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
jonnyboy666 Orange Aluminium Elite Limited Edition 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
SYN-CROSSIS Klein Attitude 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
GT-Steve Alpinestars AL-Mega DX 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
grundig-world-cup-90 Yeti FRO 7%  7%  [ 17 ]
mr_ship Nuke Proof 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 232
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:
Isn't that kinda what happens, anyway, by the natural path BOTM voting goes?

Not really, 59% of the vote was split between the other entrants.

Well I'm looking at what you suggested, and kinda inferring what goes on as the vote progresses.

At first, the field seems open, then towards the end, it only seems like it's the major players that get voted on.

I suppose if it was a 2 stage vote, those that initially may have "squandered" ;-) their vote on entries that aren't going to make the top 3 break a sweat, may have another opportuinity to influence, say, the top 3, but I'm not entirely sure it would make a whole deal of difference.

When the voting is close, it's surely like just because the voting is close. And personally, I like a big list to look at and choose from. This is the first time my vote has actually been for a winning bike - actually it's probably the first time my vote has threatened the top 3. I quite like that - seeing some bikes that whilst they may not get anywhere near winning, there results show they got a few votes.

I'm just not convinced it's broke to warrant fixing. It was close this month, sometimes that's how it goes. And it would appear that a few were making comments that their chosen bike looked like it would get pipped - again, sometimes that's just how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Neil wrote:
I suppose if it was a 2 stage vote, those that initially may have "squandered" ;-) their vote on entries that aren't going to make the top 3 break a sweat, may have another opportuinity to influence, say, the top 3, but I'm not entirely sure it would make a whole deal of difference.

That was my point. Although, before somone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not suggesting any vote is wasted. After all, my entrants regularly finish way outside the top three.

Quote:
I'm just not convinced it's broke to warrant fixing. It was close this month, sometimes that's how it goes. And it would appear that a few were making comments that their chosen bike looked like it would get pipped - again, sometimes that's just how it goes.

I didn't say BoTM was broken, I just thought it would be interesting to see what would happen. The majority of the voters don't see their chosen bike win (or has a bike polled over 50% of the vote?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

How come oneschnark Ibis , has just increased another vote.. ? and increased percentage to 17% and 40 votes, when it was 16% and 39 votes a while ago , I though BOTM was over.. now I am confused.. ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:00 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:

That was my point.
That it wouldn't likely make much difference?
Tallpaul wrote:
Quote:

I didn't say BoTM was broken,

Ok, then why fix it?;-)
Tallpaul wrote:
I just thought it would be interesting to see what would happen. The majority of the voters don't see their chosen bike win

Quite possibly, living in the real world, the majority of voters realise that, when casing their vote?

Most months, I do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Neil wrote:
Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:

That was my point.

No, I don't know what difference it would make to the result. But it would mean that a greater number of voters ultimately agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:
Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:

That was my point.

No, I don't know what difference it would make to the result. But it would mean that a greater number of voters ultimately agreed.

Only in a kinda of artificial, "Hobson's" choice.

I just don't see what's wrong with all the entries in the vote. Sometimes there will be a clear winner, other times it will be a close call - and with a lot of entries, that can sometimes have a result like the one we've just had.

That's no big thing - at the end of the day, it's only a bit of fun, anyway - if there's a lot of entries, there's a lot of entries. There's nothing artificial about it, it's still the bike with the most votes that wins. Beyond that, I think you're overthinking the issue - it's not about the votes, to abuse Lance's quote "It is about the bike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Neil wrote:
That's no big thing - at the end of the day, it's only a bit of fun, anyway - if there's a lot of entries, there's a lot of entries. There's nothing artificial about it, it's still the bike with the most votes that wins. Beyond that, I think you're overthinking the issue - it's not about the votes, to abuse Lance's quote "It is about the bike".

I know it's only a bit of fun, but I'd still find it interesting if e.g. the Klein or GT fanboys had to vote another way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Tallpaul wrote:
Neil wrote:

I know it's only a bit of fun, but I'd still find it interesting if e.g. the Klein or GT fanboys had to vote another way.

Why, though?

Diversity is good - should be celebrated, not contrived into conformity.

When BOTM comes around, personally, I vote for the bike that most appeals, that may be a mid-range bike, that's simply immaculate, and not blinged off it's <whatever>, or something I saw that simply appeals to my sense of nostalgia - so something that personally appeals to me. And in doing so, I tacitly realise that such a choice may have precisely no true impact on what wins - but so what, I don't care, I voted on the bike I liked best.

Sometimes... ok rarely... well, ok then, singularly ;-) that choice has actually got near, or won. To my mind, that was a fortunate coincidence.

If I'm going to vote, I'd rather it not be simply dismissed as insignificant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Strange how BOTM finished and another vote went in for the ibis.. dont know about anyone else , but I find this strange..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:08 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

:lol:

I'm suppresing diversity now? Good grief, I speculated on what difference a format change would make. You wouldn't find it interesting, I would.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next