Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:04 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Coolwall - Thumbshifters
cool 90%  90%  [ 115 ]
uncool 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 128
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

PMSL - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85328 I guess I asked for it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner

andrewl wrote:
I don't look at a build and go "XTR cassette, wow thats cool".

:oops:

I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

The Ken wrote:
I think Retrobike (and thumbies) are cool, but my wife and a few pals think it is sad geeky nonsense that I get far too excited about.

Such a good point - a lot of the things that we rant and rave about being cool, anybody external to this would think it's nothing more than some internet geeks talking about Star Trek.

Which goes back to one of the things I've always said about the concept of "cool" it's more than simply what enthusiasts think is cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC

Neil wrote:
Which goes back to one of the things I've always said about the concept of "cool" it's more than simply what enthusiasts think is cool.

Going a bit OT here, but I think I have to disagree with that.
Cycling is still a niche interest, and retro is even more of a niche within that.
Part of the fun in getting a bit geeky about a subject is the idea of being able to share knowledge and discuss things with like-minded people.

In terms of the concept of 'cool', I wouldn't necessarily value the opinion of somebody who knows nothing about cycling in this context.
Like my dad for instance. If I showed him a pair of XT thumbies and asked him if he liked them or not, he wouldn't have any frame of reference with which to make a decision.
Similarly a shiney new dual-suspension BSO might be considered cool by an ill informed 12 year old, when we all know that they are awful.

Personally I hate the whole concept of coolness.
In the words of Kurt Cobain;
"I'd rather be dead than cool"

That's my 2p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:07 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

drystonepaul wrote:
Neil wrote:

Going a bit OT here, but I think I have to disagree with that.
Cycling is still a niche interest, and retro is even more of a niche within that.
Part of the fun in getting a bit geeky about a subject is the idea of being able to share knowledge and discuss things with like-minded people.

In terms of the concept of 'cool', I wouldn't necessarily value the opinion of somebody who knows nothing about cycling in this context.
Like my dad for instance. If I showed him a pair of XT thumbies and asked him if he liked them or not, he wouldn't have any frame of reference with which to make a decision.
Similarly a shiney new dual-suspension BSO might be considered cool by an ill informed 12 year old, when we all know that they are awful.

Personally I hate the whole concept of coolness.

That's my 2p

Don't get me wrong, I often think the concept is so frivolous and banal - but all the same, just as the average joe probably believes that a bunch of nerds discussing Star Trek on usenet ain't cool, largely most of the things that we obsess about, or proclaim - in our loudest, Sunday-best, voice - as cool, the average person would think as equally nerdy as the hypothetical Star Trek nerds.

Now sure - a load of internet enthusiasts can gather, feverishly discuss something, and damned well shout from the mountain tops that it's cool - but that don't make it so. "cool" (whether abhorred as a term, or loved) is only so, when it transcends any enthusiasts, but pervades to those beyond.

Don't mistake my understanding of that, though, to be somewhat of an advocate of it - largely I couldn't care less whether something is cool, or not - I just find the discussions of it amusing at times.

Last edited by Neil on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm 
Anglian Deputy AEC
Anglian Deputy AEC

Only the cool cats use them, the sensible people use STI's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

uncool :evil:

just kidding...very cool :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

drystonepaul wrote:

So Kurt, upon realising the coolness of this statement...

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 am 
98+ BoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner

I've struggled with this one mainly because i've never really used them, but fully appreciate the retroness and affiliation with bitd. Not sure I would call them cool though.
They're more of an essential component and part of something that helped enable the early bikes venture offroad.. with innovation soon followed in the form of more ergonomic STI under bar shifters. Couldn't see me getting on with anything less now unless a bike warranted thumbies because of it's age.

They are the Kurt Kobain in that they will never die and they'll never be understated neither. Instead played a huge part spawning predecessors in their wake.
To me they shout retro coolness.... but cool as a whole? No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 am 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

:shock: :shock: How could this question even be put to a poll ... :? :?

Dead cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next