Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next

Cool Wall - GT Bicycles
Cool 49%  49%  [ 89 ]
OK 24%  24%  [ 44 ]
Uncool 26%  26%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 180
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:32 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:16 pm
Posts: 9609
Location: brigg, home of the gypsies
gump wrote:
ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'


FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D
spot on my friend


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:49 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am
Posts: 6979
Location: Bristle
when i were a lad GTs were for some reason automatically considered "better" than equivalent specced bikes from other makes, with the exception of kona and cannondale for some reason


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:39 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
gump wrote:
ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'


FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D


well stated 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 2461
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
doctor-bond wrote:
Image

.... are all by the same manufacturer. None of them is cool. :D


They may all have the same badge and be part of GM, but same manufacturer is pushing it a little...

Can't comment on the other two but the Holden (above) is definitely not cool - unless you live on the wrong side of the flannelette curtain in which case its "fully sick" (I'm sure there's equivalent in most parts of the world).

That said I'd own the Holden over a GT... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
gump wrote:
ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'

FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D

Hmmph

Far from a true test - appealling to enthusiasts isn't cool - how could you get that so wrong?

That's exactly why cars like the M3 and M5 aren't cool.

A true test is what somebody totally uninvolved with, and unknowledgeable about mountain biking would think is cool - which is pretty much the exact same rationale behind TG's cool wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Somerset
GT cool. Just because they are mainstream doesn't make them uncool. I think more people lusted after a Zaskar than nearly any other bike when I was 13. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:06 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 2014
Location: South Wales
doctor-bond

Vauxhall Nova not cool......., back in 1990 the Nova GSi and earlier GTE were seen by many teens as being one of the coolest cars on the road. I had a brand new spanking H plate not to dissimilar to this one but in a nice dark silver colour 8)

Image

Perhaps by being the centre of attention of the Max Power fraternity, with ridiculous body kits (chrome wiper blades !!! aaaargh) and reckless driving habits the Nova's image was a little bit sullied.

By NOT placing GT on the Cool Wall you are effectively saying that Zaskars, Xizangs, Psyclones, Karakorum's, Bravado's, RTS's, LTS's, STS's, Lobo, Avalanche LE's, etc, etc, etc ARE NOT COOL. Sorry people but that just seems nonsensical. For any manufacturer to have such bikes in their line-up and NOT BE COOL makes me question the whole concept of a 'Cool Wall' Possibly certain people may have an instilled Brand Hatred or perhaps the company's domination and financial success in the 90's has made them in some peoples eye's appear common. But that's just it, exclusivity does not make something COOL :(

Why do you think GT was such a dominating force both commercially and competitively. People all around the world purchased these bike's in thousands and thousands. Do you think that when they went to the shop to buy them they thought, 'I want to buy something uncool, or mediocre, I know I'll buy a GT' The low end and mid range models were priced against rival bikes with similar if not better specs, then why did GT sell so many. By being uncool? Don't think so, do you?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Gadro wrote:
Why do you think GT was such a dominating force both commercially and competitively. People all around the world purchased these bike's in thousands and thousands. Do you think that when they went to the shop to buy them they thought, 'I want to buy something uncool, or mediocre, I know I'll buy a GT' The low end and mid range models were priced against rival bikes with similar if not better specs, then why did GT sell so many. By being uncool? Don't think so, do you?

GTs sold well because they were distinctive and because they were unquestionably* cool.

I have no investment in them as a brand - I never bought one, nor ever owned one, nor am likely to.

The concept of a conversation with another enthusiast over what they think is cool (and by extension, some exclusive or distinctive make being considered cool, whereas GT wouldn't) is tantamount to asking a bunch of Star Trek nerds who was the cooler between Kirk and Picard - it has no relevance or bearing on what the rest of society perceives or cares about.

* for anyone that actually understands the concept


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10944
Location: kent
For me Gt were cool because they had nice bikes , which were different , they had some good creativity ( the RTS and LTS are brilliant designs ) and they had some good riders too ( N Vouilloz , Peat , Furtado etc... ) .


I also think Yeti were cool , but for different reasons .

there are different reasons to be cool .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:08 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:14 pm
Posts: 13406
Location: Warwick
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
gump wrote:
ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'


FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D


well stated 8)





yep. 10 4.

I rest my case.


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group