Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:37 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

I'm don't think price would be easy. We would have to take into account differences in exchange rates year on year. Would also have to consider that bike brand x might cost more than bike brand y in the US but be the other way round in say Germany. Further such criteria would exclude anything other than 100% stock bikes.

If the winner of this contest was going to be elected President of the World maybe we'd have more exacting and universally agreed criteria. Perhaps we'd get a consensus on the 'mid-point' of each brands range on a year by year basis and judge it on that. Sadly this month's winner will just be getting their bike featured on the front page and some stickers (also available in our shop at a reasonably priced £2.50).

Finally might I refer everybody to BoTM rule 12. And keep those bikes coming :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:44 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Setup another thread to discuss "What is mid range" here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77625

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:32 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

1994 Kona Fire Mountain. Pretty much stock. It is owned by my sis, but since I didn't collect a cent from her, it's technically still MINE! :twisted:

more pics available from link in my sig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Quote:
I was only 5ft tall!

was?!

Quote:
1994 Kona Fire Mountain

Thats the smallest bike in the world Frank!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

pete_mcc wrote:
andrewl wrote:
Dr S wrote:
Just had a look around the old 86 Dale and apart from Deerhead mechs everything else is Suntour Sport. SM600 was mid range so I guess I could sneek in??

There's still plenty of time to hunt down some NOS low end bits to complete the build ;)

No need to hunt, fill yer boots here and be the envy of all your friends:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-Shimano-200-G ... 45ef04965b

That black crankset is lethal heavy...I was struck with the non-drive side crank arm; I don't remember the rest.

pete_mcc wrote:
John wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:
GUTSKIP? I feel unwell. :oops:

Ditto, just enjoying my fifth coffee of the morning when I read that. Did make me feel a little queasy.
Tempted to change your rank to "King of the gut skip monkeys" but I'd imagine it's not something you'd want reminding of...

It was a special time - my first week there they asked me to clean this metal walkway as I was the only one small enough, so I walked along this walkway washing it down with a mop. As I neared the end they pulled a lever and the walkway dropped at one end turning into a chute and I slide down and ended in the gutskip feet first. 6 ft deep in pig bits and I was only 5ft tall!

If there's one thing I learnt that day it's that you can't doggy paddle in pig intestines.

Now I could tell you about the day they put me inside a still warm cow carcass and stitched it up (sort of empire strikes back stylee), but that's way too far off topic and it's nearly dinner time :shock:

Great story :lol:

brings back memories of my youth with a pig farm to my south and a chicken farm to my north, both of which I would work at from time to time to get some spending cash for bikes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:52 am 
Dirt Disciple

I'll stick my Muddy Fox Seeker in here - although the road tyres are going probably going to offend some people. I do have the original Muddy Fox tyres but won't get a chance to put them on.

Everything else on the bike is original (AFAIK) apart from the chainrings and seatpost. Actually, I think the cranks might be XCE from a different year as they look different to the ones on an MF brochure scan I've seen on the forum.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:05 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Defiant wrote:
Muddy Fox
still as bright as day 1

That´s given me a bit of deja vu. I went out to see my old man in Vinkeveen, near Amsterdam, and couldn´t help noticing the amount of Muddy Foxes for sale in Amsterjam, at what seemed like a better price than in the UK, I think they were selling that very same model, the year was 1988. I had just finished rebuilding a secondhand Diamond Back Ascent Ex, so wasn´t interested, got back to the UK, and it got knicked, ho hum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:29 am 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

My '97 Scott Peak, the bike that got me back into mountain biking after about 6 years without a bike (Raleigh Mustang, Claud Butler etc), it's on loan to a friend at the mo

Thoroughly mid range & well used!

4130 tubing & forks
Altus drivetrain
Deore hubs
Avid SD3 brakes
non branded finishing kit
bar ends not matching the bar colour
no seatpost clamp, the post is stuck in the frame...

If ever there was a mid range 'thrash the hell out of it & don't give a crap if I ding it' bike this is it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 am 
Retro Guru

John wrote:
I'm sure this one will cause some debate and be a real headache :lol: Remember it is a bit of fun and judges decision for eligibility is final.

Sure, this is a real ( but fun ) headache decision … I´m planning to put my Spec. Ground Control, mainly with LX … but it has XT Hubs & a pair of XTR V´s … ¿ any chance to enter it ?

Here´s it:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77478

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

maxhc wrote:
John wrote:
I'm sure this one will cause some debate and be a real headache :lol: Remember it is a bit of fun and judges decision for eligibility is final.

Sure, this is a real ( but fun ) headache decision … I´m planning to put my Spec. Ground Control, mainly with LX … but it has XT Hubs & a pair of XTR V´s … ¿ any chance to enter it ?

Here´s it:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77478

Sadly we have to say no, has to be at best Deore LX.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next