RBotM April 2019 - Theme month - Your favourite lugs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
A late start to this months competition but here it is.
The one you never knew you were waiting for!

Favourite lugs!!!
Save the ear jokes for later and get out there and get a photo.

It is exactly as it says' your favourite lugs' or lug more precisely, doesn't have to be intricate or fancy, just why it's your favourite, could be because of the frame it's on, a nice paint job, that type of thing.
Take 1 or 2 photos of your favourite lug in your collection/fleet with a brief description of what it's from and why you like it.
Totally subjective, and at the end of the month we will all vote for our favourite.
There will be a small token prize for the winner.

Entries will be open until the last day of the month and then a five day poll to decide the winner.
1 entry per member.

Best of luck and apologies once again for this kicking off so late.

Jamie

NERVEX “Serie Legere” Model 48/161 (Feature Cut 48, Nozzle cut 161)

These are my favourite lugs on my 1961 Super Coureur. Note these are cast lugs….Not Bi-laminates. **EDIT** not cast, but pressed! :facepalm: (cheers Keith) :D

Reason why they are my favourite? It’s the feature triangular cut in front.
I’m not sure, but I don’t think anyone else bothered with such an intricate detail in a cast lug.

Nice idea Jamie, good to see some pretty details…. :D

Attachments

• NERVEX Serie Legere Model 48161 (1).jpeg
    NERVEX Serie Legere Model 48161 (1).jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 9,724
  • NERVEX Serie Legere Model 48161 (2).jpeg
    NERVEX Serie Legere Model 48161 (2).jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 9,724
These are amongst my favourites

Capella lugs on a 1963 Carlton Catalina. These lugs were prevalent in the Carlton range from about 1959 through to the late 60s. The initial ones were hand-cut by Bob Keeling at Carlton. I love these as they are decorative and distinctive without being too showy. When used on a smaller frame the head stock lugs were either cut short (the long prongs) or a smaller badge was used, as shown here. These examples have been chromed...

P5033663_zpsipolqhwp.jpg

P9301732_zpspfxfuamw.jpg

Very nice....

Re:

It needs a repaint, but this 1950 R O Harrison Super Circuit has lovely lugs, simple curves, and a rare beast. Terry

Attachments

• ro_harrison_1950_d.jpg
    ro_harrison_1950_d.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 9,682
  • ro_harrison_1950_c.jpg
    ro_harrison_1950_c.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9,682
Nice theme this months. I do not have ambitions to win, due to the faboulus pictures of lugs already shown. But I do like through the years the specific Peugeot lugs. Were the checkered pattern is shown. I do not know another brand which who has such thing as well.
img_2115.jpg

Spokesmann":2x5nxhq8 said:
These are amongst my favourites

Capella lugs on a 1963 Carlton Catalina. These lugs were prevalent in the Carlton range from about 1959 through to the late 60s. The initial ones were hand-cut by Bob Keeling at Carlton. I love these as they are decorative and distinctive without being too showy. When used on a smaller frame the head stock lugs were either cut short (the long prongs) or a smaller badge was used, as shown here. These examples have been chromed...

P5033663_zpsipolqhwp.jpg

P9301732_zpspfxfuamw.jpg

A favourite lug of mine too my 1960 track frame has them, was told an interesting story (about them) by Dave Marsh.

Rk.

Re:

My favourite use of lugs for the man cave!

Attachments

• IMG_8779.jpg
    IMG_8779.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 9,558
  • IMG_8778.jpg
    IMG_8778.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 9,558
Something not quite so English - Colnago 'arabesque' lugs in 24k gold.

IMG_1232[1] by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

The reason these lugs are my 'faves' have nothing at all to do with shape or design, or even rarity. It is simply due to a 'leap of faith' that turned out well. It's a 2017 Colnago arabesque 2nd generation frame that I bought new. Electroplating theory (along with the right chemicals) suggested that it was possible to remove the chrome whilst leaving the underlying nickel plating untouched. So I gently removed the clear coat overlay, masked and effectively disolved the chrome plate, repolished the underlying nickel plate and gold 'brush' plated the lugs. A quick hand sealing metal polish, remove the masking and the job was done. So yes, that is still the factory original paint. I'm pretty happy with my handiwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back