RBotM JULY 2018 - Open Month - Nominations Now Open !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Nominations Now Open - RBotM JULY 2018 - Open Month -

Welcome once again to the RBotM competition.
After a successful June theme month we are back again to the open competition which means that any retro road cycle is eligible to enter. The only exceptions are those that have won the competition previously, the bicycles themselves, not the owners.
Usual rules apply , ie; two photos, a brief description and a link to the build thread if you have one. If you don't have a build thread in readers rides then now might be a good time to start one. This comp isn't the place for a build thread.
Will need to try and keep comments relevent to the competition and also in the spirit of it. This isn't a concourse type event, though nearly all could enter any of those type events, it is more to share and show off the builds and machines that you guys and girls have been building, riding and generally getting enthused about lately.

Thanks and best of luck to all.

Jamie

Re:

Kermit's King of Mercia

So here goes nothing, bought the frame and a few parts off of MatBH5,. Had to do a bit of touching up on the frame, came out okay and then went for a mostly Capagnolo build. Enjoy :D

Build thread with specs on last page.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=385182&start=30

Attachments

• DSCF3364.JPG
    DSCF3364.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 8,743
  • DSCF3363.JPG
    DSCF3363.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 8,743
Okay here goes again.... 'retro modern' 1952 Ron Cooper AS Gillott..... :)
Currently running at four to five hundred miles each month....she is a bike I ride every day (okay it's the only bike I have that works !) and ranks next to my dog in Sand Dune's "most loved list"

Build thread here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 54+gillott
from page 5 iirc

Just the one photo this time...
(with special man cave and foxglove backdrop!!!!)

I have to make sure I vote for myself in this one; I get carried away when I see those beautiful vintage Colnagos and I'm sure we shall see some wonderful examples of the same this month.
(I hope we do otherwise I'm writing a letter of complaint to the moderators!)

Attachments

• 52 Gillott front-512.jpg
    52 Gillott front-512.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 8,705
Two lovelies straight out of the starting blocks! :shock: Should be another corker of a competition.... :D

I know this may possibly do better in a themed 60’s month, but just to add to the colour pallet, here is my boy’s tiny 19.5" 1969 Claud Butler Electron Super five.
Fully restored from the bottom up with the saddle being the only non-consumable component not catalogue correct. (ok, maybe the yellow hoods..but they are just dressing)
Build thread here; Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration
Before & after photos & spec here;1969 Claud Butler Electron Super five. #56748

Attachments

• Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 c.jpeg
    Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 c.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 8,687
  • Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 i.jpeg
    Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 i.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 8,687
It's lovely Peachy.......(do remove the valve covers tho. I have read somewhere it is frowned upon within closed cicles of grumpy old men) A great thread too. Too much to like about this bike I think...It also get many points for it being your son's bike...

...until the Colnago's come along and bling the place out, turn our heads, and I offer my dog in exchange for one. (only to be turned down and be bitterly upset)

I dont buy into the non catalogue parts argument. It looks all the better for the matching saddle and brake lever hoods. IMHO.

Great job, Father & Son......who gets the BOTM sticker as winner though? The Father? the Son...or the Holy Ghost?

Sand_Dune":250h2d65 said:
(do remove the valve covers tho. I have read somewhere it is frowned upon within closed cicles of grumpy old men)
Not a chance..It's great sport giving them something to chew on! :p

A great thread too. Too much to like about this bike I think...It also get many points for it being your son's bike...
Glad you like the thread, its not too old for you to pass comment on if you like.. :D

I dont buy into the non catalogue parts argument. It looks all the better for the matching saddle and brake lever hoods. IMHO.
Perhaps for another thread, but I'd be interested in other peoples definition of consumable parts.. tyres/tubes/grease/bearings/cables/blocks obviously, but I would also add saddle/bar tape/hood covers as they do take a beating... :?:

Great job, Father & Son......who gets the BOTM sticker as winner though? The Father? the Son...or the Holy Ghost?
The one who pays the bills... (saying that, he has paid for his next project, the Cavalier)

You have to remember many many 'bikes' were sold as frames by the shop with the customer specifying their parts so rarely no two bikes were the same.

But then there were also brands that had catalogues and sold endless carbon copies especially Raleigh brands. And often those 'catalogue' bikes were immediately customised by their owners with their own preferred parts over what was supplied.

Its nice to see bikes that are 'original' but also those that were a custom purchase, that gives you a snapshot of that day in time when maybe part X was popular but now rarely seen.

legrandefromage":3jo5h0px said:
You have to remember many many 'bikes' were sold as frames by the shop with the customer specifying their parts so rarely no two bikes were the same.

But then there were also brands that had catalogues and sold endless carbon copies especially Raleigh brands. And often those 'catalogue' bikes were immediately customised by their owners with their own preferred parts over what was supplied.

Its nice to see bikes that are 'original' but also those that were a custom purchase, that gives you a snapshot of that day in time when maybe part X was popular but now rarely seen.

I agree, I should also point out that this particular bike was kitted out with a flip flop hub and single fixed cog by the shop owner Jack Hatfield…so not exactly catalogue….
Quote from my original thread;
The bike shop on Newport Road was Jack Hatfield's a well-known local cyclist who was a Multi Welsh Grass & Track Champion, National Vet time trial record holder at 25 / 50 /100 miles. & for Cwmcarn Paragon cycling club a Multi Time Trial Champion & Place to place record tandem holder with Mel & Ted Carpenter.
Some of you may well be aware of the Cwmcarn Paragon Road Club, of which Jack Hatfield was a founding member, it still exists today http://cwmcarnparagon.com/history.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back