Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Road Rider of the Month - RRofM - January -

Something a bit different this month.
This month its all about the riders. Retro Road Riders, racers, tourers anything as long as its on the road.
This is open for people to nominate their favourite or most admired, respected rider.
This could be Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi, it could be Ed Edwards riding the Flanders sportive, Bagpuss riding through the Pyreness. If they rode what we would now consider an old or retro road bike you can nominate them. So very broad and all encompassing.
Now this may be a good idea or it could be my worst (and last ).

Nominations should have a picture, or two, and a brief paragraph explaining who it is and why you nominated them.

One nomination per person ie: no more than one Eddy Merckx, if someone has nominated them then just wait and vote for that individual.
The vote will poll and the vote will be for the individual nominated, not the person nominating. So no winners this month as people are voting for the person listed.
Just so we are sure.

This might backfire drastically but its something a bit different and remember its all in the name of good fun. So no bitching, if you don't like someones nomination then counter with who you think is better. Remember they don't have to be a star or world champ, just someone you think is cool or interesting.

Usual rules, nominations open until the last day of the month and then a poll for 5 days.

Jamie

Beryl Burton

I thought about Tom Simpson and his tragic story but Beryl is my all time cycling hero for what she accomplished through her years is a remarkable achievement raising a family, world champion smashing TT records This lady did it all in a male dominated world

660248717.jpg

Beryl_Burton_1967.jpg

Eddy 'The Cannibal'

His record speaks for itself, 525 victories. There will never be another rider who can come close as todays riders simply don't do all the tours and classics.

I was fortunate enough to meet the great man last year in his 70th birthday. Its easy to build up your hero's and be slightly disappointed. Eddy is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet, a true legend.

22704909753_88aa04c13a_c.jpg

21725059320_d7e1213c5d_c.jpg

21726243199_ecc34da00c_c.jpg

Michele Bartoli.

I hesitated between Frank Vandenbroucke and Bartoli. As a Belgian I should have chosen the former, but as a teenager my cycling hero was Bartoli, so I nominate him. He won most of the big classics at least once in the mid-90s, including the world cup, but most of all, he had so much style on a bike. I did everything to replicate his position on the bike :D

tumblr_n2150nJQRu1qzxpybo1_1280.jpg

Re:

Sheldon Brown

Knew everything there was to know about bikes and documented it so that he could share his knowledge. Whether you're a pro racer or a dad fixing up baby's bike, he has something for you to get it mended.

And he was whacky and I am drawn to eccentric people, they're far more interesting than today's facebook clones

BTW - good call on Beryl Burton

Great idea Jamie.

Beryl Burton, first nomination and an awesome one at that. How cool would it be for a women to win as well.

But having just finished reading Geronimo by Tim Moore last night my nomination is Alfonso Calzolari, winner of the 1914 Giro D'Italia for being harder than a hard thing on a hard day! None of this EPO or blood transfusion stuff for those riders. Not even the amphetamines that allegedly did it for Tommy Simpson and the riders of his era. These guys took strychnine! :shock: :shock:

alfonso-calzolari.jpg

1914-Calzolari-sul-Sestrier.jpg

Looking good so far, some good entries coming in.
bagpuss, I tried to post one of the Tommy Goodwin pictures, though it wont let it from that site so will find one somewhere.
Also, no more than two pics per entry, otherwise it all gets too cluttered.

And Barry, I am just starting Geronimo as I got it with one of my Christmas vouchers :)
Keep 'em coming :)

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back