Larger AM frame for technical climbs. wife has app

mina0805

Dirt Disciple
I have a Banshee Rune V2 which I am pretty happy with, rides very nice, rigid, handles the rough nicely and is pretty playful mountain bicycle.
The main problem I am having with it and with most bikes is I have longer femurs than you, unless your 7ft tall, but my upper body is a more in proportion to the rest of me. So obviously my seat poles are typically at max height.
Recently I have been playing around with some technical climbing and as soon as it gets step the front wheel lifts and off the back I go or lean forward to keep it down and I lose all momentum. I am skilled at this type of riding, but the bike I think is making it hard... specifically my seated position is pretty far back over the rear wheel.
2391248817_1817377550.jpg

The rune climbs pretty good for an agressive AM bike, as long as you sit and spin, great traction very little feedback, not as good as a DW link, but pretty close - trade off it is quite a bit more playful on the way down. So with pole at full extension, my arse is pretty much above the mid way of the stays.
Things I could do but won't work are sliding the seat more forward = not enough room too cramped for handling.
Longer stem would obviously get the centre of mass more forward, but at the detriment of the bikes excellent handling - 65mm stem is as long as I will go.
Now when it's fast with a single tall obsticle to get over, I can plow through that without slowing, but when faced with multiple square edged hits so the bike is on a sustained angle things go to shit - the following pick is at a 10 degree ascent.
2388535824_1817377550.jpg

So at the piont my arse is only a fraction in front of the rear axle, the front lifts and the climb is over and I go home feeling inadequate.
Now I am happy with the bike, it is a large and I think an XL would solve this to a point. A longer front triangle would help weight the front better in climbs, I can run the seat more forward in the clamp. The XL doesn't have longer chain stays, which would obviously help climbing - at the detriment of playfulness, but the wheel base is a little longer.
So I am more than happy to buy an extra large rune to replace the large, I think my rationale is pretty good that an XL will climb a little better - or am I missing the obvious?
My Mrs Flux at the same angle for reference, this bike climbs anything!
2388532881_1817377550.jpg

Back