Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BoTM March 2014 **PLACE BETS NOW!!!!!**
Poll ended at Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm
Barneyballbags' 1994 GT Zaskar 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
cherrybomb's 1996 Zaskar 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Kirbdugs 1993 DAWES Double Edge Tandem 10%  10%  [ 21 ]
gibihms 1990 Santana Moda fillet brazed 8%  8%  [ 16 ]
Chrisv40's 1991 Diamondback Axis 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Trebz's 1988 Specialized Rockhopper 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Spudly's 1997 Marin Rift Zone FRS 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
Matt24777's 94 Kona Kilauea 7%  7%  [ 15 ]
Sinnermans 1989 Roberts Stratos 22%  22%  [ 47 ]
Halaburt's 1983 Steve Potts Brazed MTB 29%  29%  [ 62 ]
andreaviola M2 Team 1992 9%  9%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 211
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Just this month they're running an open vote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Just cast my easy vote.

I was taken with the Rockhopper as that was a bike that we all could almost afford many moons ago and I like to see the simple bikes that would have been daily riders being looked after and cared for.

The tandem really drew me as well, how many of these would have been made and how many ware left now?

My vote was taken by the what I think is the only British built e-stay I have ever seen. The quality of the finish and the dedication, not to mention the epic write up stole it for me.

What did you vote for?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Well, 2 votes for mine. That's 2 more than I thought I'd get being as it's a lowly Zaskar.

I voted for the Kilauea :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm amazed at how well I'm doing so far!
Never thought I'd stand a chance, but the rest of you are gonna be hard presses to catch up with me now!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:53 am 
Old School Grand Master

Can there be a Zaskars only BotM one day? At least then we'd be in with a chance! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:02 am 
Retro Guru

I'm a bit suprised how little the zaskars are getting, given their popularity on here. I'm not suprised the tandem or stratos are doing well, the Potts I just don't get personally and the I don't get why the m2 is doing so well compared to some of the others. But that's botm for you.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 am 
Old School Grand Master

matt24777 wrote:
I'm a bit suprised how little the zaskars are getting, given their popularity on here. I'm not suprised the tandem or stratos are doing well, the Potts I just don't get personally and the I don't get why the m2 is doing so well compared to some of the others. But that's botm for you.

I don't think a Zaskar will win BotM any time soon. They are easy to find, cheap to buy and the majority of them take little effort to build (partly due to just how flexible a frame a Zaskar is - they can be built with virtually anything).

There are a lot more deserving bikes in this poll than my GT. I would like to see a "Zaskars only" poll though, purely because of the numbers of them on the forum. It would be nice to see a number of good examples all in one place :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 am 
Retro Guru

Barneyballbags wrote:

I don't think a Zaskar will win BotM any time soon. They are easy to find, cheap to buy and the majority of them take little effort to build (partly due to just how flexible a frame a Zaskar is - they can be built with virtually anything).

There are a lot more deserving bikes in this poll than my GT. I would like to see a "Zaskars only" poll though, purely because of the numbers of them on the forum. It would be nice to see a number of good examples all in one place :)

I see your point, but that could be equally applied to most mainstream bikes, certainly Konas or Marins or Specialized. It seems that if it is something a bit unusual or a bit of exotica you stand a better chance, but I did start to think this month was going to be more interesting as most entries were more "mainstream" but the last couple of entries changed the playing field a bit.

Botm voting is always a bit weird, those I think will. Do well rarely do, the ones I don't get others do.... Just the way it goes...

Would be nice to see a brand specific or versus month again soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:08 am 
Old School Grand Master

Its just a bit of fun. :wink:

If I'm honest, my entry isn't even the bike I'd choose now. It's a replica of a bike I had BITD

I'm not at all surprised it's got zero votes for that very reason. It was built to scratch a very particular itch which I'm certain only I will ever 'get'. I don't expect any others to understand that.

I bet there's not many of us who would actually choose to build the bike they did over 20 years ago (with the 'upgrades' they chose) Fashions change and we tend to remember just the good bits when we reminisce.

Just for the record though, it's probably taken me just as long to find the parts for the build as it took some of the far more exotic entrants in the competition; and it's still not 100% there.

Good luck folks and have fun. There's some great bikes in this months line up, just as there always is.

The tandem got my vote. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:56 pm 
Retro Guru

cherrybomb wrote:
I'm not at all surprised it's got zero votes for that very reason. It was built to scratch a very particular itch which I'm certain only I will ever 'get'. I don't expect any others to understand that.

Yours is the most aesthetically pleasing contender to my eye and would have got my vote if I wasn't voting tactically against a narcissist (not you).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next