Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:56 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm 
iconoclassic best in show
iconoclassic best in show

Oh dear it's all gone pear shaped :roll:

Lovely bikes both of them ,congratulations chaps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:04 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

ameybrook wrote:
makster wrote:
Is this project any less valid than buying some carbon tubes and getting someone else to build them into a frame? (which involves cutting a perfectly good frame into pieces, and results in a bike that's too fragile to ride)
I know which one gets my respect!

Knew this was coming. Same materials and hands performing the labor. The only difference being time. Pretty large difference (IMO) than taking a bunch of new tubes, throwing them together, and putting a reproduced decal on it.

The Breezer project is what it is - a replica. But does it have a place in BOTM alongside true vintage MTBs?

Some of the comments, to my mind, are a little unfair I feel.

I certainly don't see any real difference in building a REPLICA yeti c26, to pete build this by hand himself at home.

to be fair, BOTH are replicas, the Yeti C26 didn't start out in life as a c26, therefore it isn't an original C26, its a replica.

but then, I have even had it said, a repainted bike, is not original its a replica.

theres always going to be sum bullshit every month, this is no different.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

racer x wrote:
No not original paint on the Dagger its Lamborghini green here is another pic of the paint match for you, looks stunning up close 8)

Beautiful, but unfair on the others me thinks, and isn't that what a link to a build thread is for.... :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

All sorted deleted photos and added a link to my build thread, never thought about that :lol: more room created now 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Fair comments.

Biglev, that's a stunning Homage to a great retrobike, Kudos... But to have 'Breezer' on something that isn't just doesn't work for me. A bit like The ferrari replicas based on a Toyota MR2; Just not the real thing.

Still a good looking build. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

sinnerman wrote:
to be fair, BOTH are replicas

Exactly.

ameybrook wrote:
Knew this was coming. Same materials and hands performing the labor. The only difference being time. Pretty large difference (IMO) than taking a bunch of new tubes, throwing them together, and putting a reproduced decal on it.

Take a bunch of carbon tubes, and throw money at them, or take a bunch of steel tubes, and throw skill at them.....

The C26 replicas are fantastic, and I take my hat off to you for the work that you've put into building yours up.
I just think it's a bit short sighted to then belittle all of the hard work put in by someone to learn the skills required to build something from scratch.
Anyway, is that all the entries so far?? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

mkozaczek wrote:
makster wrote:
Is this project any less valid than buying some carbon tubes and getting someone else to build them into a frame? (which involves cutting a perfectly good frame into pieces, and results in a bike that's too fragile to ride)
I know which one gets my respect!

I know Mike already said it, but it's not "some carbon" tubes, we're talking all original materials. Also, the bikes are not too fragile to ride, talk to Rumpfy about his latest air session on his C-26...

So far, not too fragile to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Retro Guru

There's clearly a difference between new tubes put together to an old design by a third party and old tubes put together in an old design by the person who originally built that design. To my mind the Herting C-26 "replicas" are, to all intents and purposes, somewhat belated additions to the original "production run" (such as it was). What they and biglev's notBreezer have in common is that they didn't exist as complete frames until relatively recently.

TBH I'm not sure about having Breezer logos on it given that it isn't one, but if Joe's cool with it that's good enough for me :) And I love the end result, whatever the name on the downtube. Valid? I guess technically not, but to me it would seem slightly mean-spirited to exclude it.

Love the Dagger too :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

The replica / time & materials debate is all very well, but a big part of the appeal of Biglev's build is that he's trained himself to build it from scratch: not just ordered parts and paint.

The C26s are like asking an architect to build you a house like the famous one they did for someone else before.

The handmade replica is like building that house yourself.

Both are imitative and the results are similar; the difficulty level in the self-build (when, like this, it is done to a high standard) takes the respect to new levels. So definitely a worthy new dimension to the hallowed format that is BoTM.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next