Status
Not open for further replies.

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to the Feb 2013 BoTM. In the excitement of software updates the nomination thread is a little late up but I'm sure we'll all get by.

This month is a Special Month, the theme being 'Restoration Special'. Each nomination must include two images, the first showing the bike before restoration and the second after. So just to make things really clear not only are you voting for the finished product but also the restoration work which has been put into the bike.

So, here we go :cool:

FYI the next special month might well be Apollo vs Free Spirit so let's get those builds finished off :cool:

Kick off!

Second time i enter this bike, hope that's allowed, thing is i bought it as a frameset only, so never rode it before restoration..but what the hack: it's for the fun!!!

paint thread, sorry didn't make a build, was kind of in a hurry for BOTM dec.2012...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223779

Attachments

• botm-001.jpg
    botm-001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5,429
  • Adroit.jpg
    Adroit.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 5,429
That Adroit looks great but that's hardly a restoration.
The 'before' bike is better in my opinion.

Restore is to take something beat and return it to its former glory. Simply repainting a bike besause it's not you're favourite colour hardly qualifies.

ok, so i have binned the Muddy Fox option as it's likely to be against the rules as i have entered it in a special month before, so here's my 1992 kona explosif, there are sort of 3 build threads for it.

when i got it back from the guy i sold it to:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39834&p=255902&hilit=explosif#p255902

when i re-specced it a bit modern:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77910&p=558998&hilit=explosif#p558998

then the final resto including paint job and re-brazing the cable guides correctly, and i rode 25 miles on it yesterday :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108970&p=798267&hilit=explosif#p798267

little more history, this was the first bike i ever won a race on, in 1994, since having it back i have raced it at mountain mayhem twice aswel as the old world champs in holland in 2009.

explosif before by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1040969 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

AirPressure":l5hmszqw said:
Restore is to take something beat and return it to its former glory. Simply repainting a bike besause it's not you're favourite colour hardly qualifies.

We're not going to be too hardline on this one - we'll let the voters make the decision as to which the best restoration is.

AirPressure":10fyoog7 said:
Simply repainting a bike besause it's not you're favourite colour hardly qualifies.

I partly agree, but that wasn't the reason.....

Here's my restoration project! My 1992 Scott Pro Racing. Bought as frame only and had to respray it. Decals were custom made! For full restoration see the build thread: viewtopic.php?p=1182804

image.jpg

image.jpg

For me, personally - special credit will be given to build threads, showing some labour of love, and some underlying OCD, rather than lots of cash spent on a load of NOS parts fresh out of packages.

Dammit, I want to see obsession about ferules, polishing jockey wheel bushings, the extra screws, nuts, or washers that are always inexplicably left over.

And most importantly, I want to see some evidence of the psychological damage that ensued from the obsession of getting it done, that it wasn't just all done by spreadsheet and project plan, but that some actual life expectency was reduced, some grey hair gained, and that there's some nagging, irritation about something that wasn't quite perfect.

I can handle the truth.

Make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back