Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Koupe wrote:
Personally, I class a restoration as returning a bike in poor and/or incomplete condition to as near its original state, including paint and component spec, as possible. Like, for instance, the Cinder Cone above (other examples are available).
Ultimately, if you don't think a bike fits the criteria as you define it, just don't vote for it.

I agree with this ^ but I think it’s interesting just to see all of the different approaches towards a restoration project this month. Personally when I start a project I typically just try to reconstruct the bike to represent its original form at some early point in the bikes history and I attempt to build it period correct. On the Koski I knew it wasn’t going to be a repaint because of the headtube history and dt decals so I specifically searched for well used parts which were originally on it and would hopefully function fine but but not look out of place. Huelse’s Ibis is a cool example because he did a stellar job on the paint touch up and the cranks to match. SJ 1990’s Scott is nice because of the complete repaint IMO. I know I haven’t submitted before but I’ve lurked/voted on past months and I like the fact that things are open ended this time around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 am 
Retro Guru

Ha ha ha....Roger Waters!!! That is the funniest thing here for years.

Syd Barret 2001: "Leave me alone....Syds not here" has as much relevance. Would you lot stop filling this thread with rubbish! Pages of "Quoting" the previous ranter's rant is pathetic.....(suppose that will be "Quoted")

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 am 
Retro Guru

Sorry everyone for I feel I lit the blue touch paper.... As has been said further up at the end of the day if you don't think it justifies a resto then just don't vote for it. Simple. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 am 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

If my lobo is not ok , you can remove . But the bikes with just a wipe over , too ...

Assembly and restauration is different for me .
:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 am 
Retro Guru

trail_head wrote:
zetecmk2 wrote:
so........vote for mine....and argue later!! :wink:

No shifter cable = incomplete bike = DISQUALIFIED

Better luck next time!

single speed you dumbasses.....right....that's it! outside! all of you!!! NOW
(wahee....retrofight is back :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am 
Retro Guru

trail_head wrote:
Congrats Mods on another poorly defined idea which is certain to cause stress and disagreements.

Or, looked at the other way, congrats mods on another excellent open-ended idea that's open to interpretation and will hence have a more interesting variety of entries.

In my world the difference between "refurbish" and "restore" is not that great. It's not that great in my dictionary, either:

refurbish 1. brighten up. 2 restore and redecorate

restore 1. bring back ... to the original state by rebuilding, repairing, repainting etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Actually you've all failed to meet the criteria. We meant Restoration as in the period of English history generally accepted to cover the reign of Charles II (1660-1685 for those who didn't pay attention in school).

Clearly not. It was deliberately open ended and as long as the nomination includes two images we intended to let most through to the poll. It is then up to the voter to decide which bike takes Bike of The Month based on all normal criteria people judge on (most use of the colour purple, is it a Kona, is the bike owned by a friend etc.) and which the voter judges to be the best restoration.

A few other points
:arrow: Two pics per entry only. If you have more please post up a thread in reader's bikes, add as many images as you want and link from here.
:arrow: If the bike has already been entered in a Special Month it is not elligible. Does seem a little tough this rule on reflection, however it was put in place for an obvious reason.
:arrow: We need two images this month, a before and after.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Koupe wrote:
Ultimately, if you don't think a bike fits the criteria as you define it, just don't vote for it.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Sorry, wrong pictures
Philippe

Last edited by oneschnark on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

oneschnark wrote:
Salut,
Grove Hard Core 1989 /90
before and now
I need to repair: Fork and the Paint, and to replace some other things

Philippe

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next