Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

sinnerman wrote:
The are British Companies though, does it make a difference if they were Fabricated in the Far East....?

Not to how they ride :D Not sure on 'the rules' this month though!

sinnerman wrote:
Also we have no Pace, Roberts, Yates, etc....?

I though you were just taking a while while you decide which one to enter! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nevadasmith wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
The are British Companies though, does it make a difference if they were Fabricated in the Far East....?

Not to how they ride :D Not sure on 'the rules' this month though!

I dont think it matters, I think the term used by the Op was Interpret as you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:19 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

IIRC the Chinese built bikes got the boot from the Canadian made bike special month. There's a wealth of frames that were built in the UK to warrant making the contest exclusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:04 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

FMJ wrote:
IIRC the Chinese built bikes got the boot from the Canadian made bike special month. There's a wealth of frames that were built in the UK to warrant making the contest exclusive.

Agreed,

But it is Exclusive or Not..

This month is a British special, frames, components, manufacturers etc interpret as you will!

is it or isnt it...???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:26 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Its still interpret as you will. I'd say Orange is as British as they come, Taiwanese or not*. We do seem to get pedantic over the rules but its a democratic process when it comes to the vote and hopefully how the voters interpret the brief is what wins if you get my drift. I'd even say a well equipped frame from another country could be entered within the guidelines, whether it would win or not is another question. Let the votes decide.

*were all (retro)Oranges built in Taiwan? I think the current full sussers are built in Halifax no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

kaiser wrote:
Its still interpret as you will. I'd say Orange is as British as they come, Taiwanese or not*. We do seem to get pedantic over the rules but its a democratic process when it comes to the vote and hopefully how the voters interpret the brief is what wins if you get my drift. I'd even say a well equipped frame from another country could be entered within the guidelines, whether it would win or not is another question. Let the votes decide.

*were all (retro)Oranges built in Taiwan? I think the current full sussers are built in Halifax no?

thats how i understood it from the outset.

And yes the full sussers are handbuilt here in the Uk.

Ta for making it clear kaiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

kaiser wrote:

Kaiser thanks for clearing that up.

Re pedantic over the rules - you are right of course some month BOTM has disappeared up it's own ar$e - as FMJ says in previous months bikes that would meet this months spec would have been ruled out before the vote, which is the point I was raising - be it slightly tongue in cheek. Against that back drop loads of cool bikes may not have been entered due to uncertainty over being 'british' - all bikes entered to date fit the same interpretation......

Keep the entries coming. I'd personally like to see a cool frame from a foreign manufacturer bucking the trend and pulling off a load of nice UK components 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

nevadasmith wrote:
I'd personally like to see a cool frame from a foreign manufacturer bucking the trend and pulling off a load of nice UK components 8)

Me too, change the formula. It'd have to be rather special to pull it off though.

Can anyone think if any British manufacturers had a go at developing a suspension platform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

sinnerman wrote:

Also we have no Pace, Roberts, Yates, etc....?

My roberts pug replica is a real roberts not one of my "triggers broom" jobs. :¬)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

kaiser wrote:
nevadasmith wrote:
I'd personally like to see a cool frame from a foreign manufacturer bucking the trend and pulling off a load of nice UK components 8)

Me too, change the formula. It'd have to be rather special to pull it off though.

Can anyone think if any British manufacturers had a go at developing a suspension platform?

Is that a trick Question..... :D

Formula. with a Chas Roberts rear end, Carbon front.

Didnt Deb Murrell ride one....? Or am i thinking Carbon front, steel rear and a linkage suspension fork...?

Did they do a version with rear suspension....?

Last edited by sinnerman on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next