Status
Not open for further replies.

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now taking nominations for the July 2012 rBoTM contest. This month will be a Tour de France special so ideally we'd like to see Tour replicas and homages :) The more provenance the better.

For this month we will allow bikes which have been entered before (and won if you like) to be entered again.

John":2b2dw3if said:
This month will be a Tour de France special so ideally we'd like to see Tour replicas and homages
:shock:
My homage is to the Motobecane La Redoute French racing team. 1980 - 1983 and my heart goes out to Paul Sherwen our hero.

motobecane002.jpg

motobecanesimplex004.jpg

IN homage to Peter Post, and the Raleigh Team, i offer the 1986 Panasonic Raleigh Cadet. Painted by Raleigh to inspire a generation of youth to by Raleigh bikes. There were always high end versions for the better off, and semi pro riders, but this let evryone have a chance of "buying in" to that team's greatness.

Adjusted.jpg

Adjusted2.jpg

It was on this bike that i had my recent fall, and hospitalisation, in March. I am hoping to return to work this month.

Dave

Roberto Conti's 2000 De Rosa Merak

I have three bikes in my collection that were owned and used by former pros. I am not sure whether the two oldest ones were ever ridden in the Tour, but am absolutely sure that the newest of them was definitely used. It is a 2000 De Rosa Merak that was ridden by Roberto Conti in 2000 season when he placed 16th in the GC of the Tour. I wouldn't generally present this bike here as I don't really feel that it can yet be classified as "vintage", but given the special focus on Tour bikes this one seems perfect. The bike is all original except for the tyres and the stem length (Conti used the same model stem, just 2 cm longer).

The year 2000 was in many ways a transition year. There was teh appearance of the first carbon bits from Campagnolo (brifters and rear derailleur), but still metal front derailleur, alloy cranks and dual pivot brakes front and rear with full arms (the cost-cutting single pivot rear and skeleton brakes were still to come). It was likewise just prior to the carbon seatpins (the one here is still titanium). The wheels are also note-worthy as they were teh very last year of Campagnolo supplying the pros with separate hubs and rims. The next year, they had moved on to integrated wheels. It is also significant that in 2000, there were still more teams still riding with clincher/wire-on tyres, just as seen on this bike. The particular model of Campagnolo Montreal rims used by Conti's team were apparently never commercialized and the following year Campagnolo moved into the integrated wheels big time and shortly thereafter all teams seemed destined to exclusive use of tubulars once again. The frame is also a throw-back as it is aluminium and not carbon (the fork is carbon and surprisingly enough was made by time).

All told, there is very little of or on this bike that can be seen on today's pro team bikes...

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 6,964
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6,964
This is Miguel Arroyo's Team Z Calfee. Lemond ordered 18 bikes from Craig Calfee for his team and this is one them, original down to the bar tape, Chorus crank bolts and Chorus fd. It fits me too!

lemond-1.jpg

lemond-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back