PoTM February 2012 - It's not about the bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok folks, a little different this month. I thought we might have a potm with a bit more of a challenge than just a loose brief.

As my hero Lance once said, It's not about the bike. And while I somewhat disagree with him and in my world, it's all about the bike...:) This month's PoTM is just that, it's not about the bike. It's about the backgrounds.

One of the rules of taking good pics is 'watch your backgrounds'. (not photoshop them out later).

Composition is arguably more important than technical ability.

So, we'd like to see some thought going into this month's competition with regard the image as a whole.

Be it an amazing alpine landscape, a colourful graffiti'd urban towpath wall, or a neat line of trees in a new plantation...let's see your bike, somewhere interesting and make a beautiful photograph.

Don't get hung up on showing off your favourite crank as 90% of the picture. Think bigger picture and make your bike a crucial element in a beautiful landscape.*

If you need inspiration, go and look for the Dekerf shot against an amazing painted wall somewhere on this site, or ask Mr Kawasaki - he's a master of shooting bikes well in an urban landscape.

Go look at photographer's work, interpret (rip off), be inspired, add a bike. That's what many of the best bike images out there have done, they've seen the landscape and added the bike.

So, your theme for February 2012 is entitled - 'Backgrounds'.

Rules are simple:

*Picture should be by you or of you.
*Picture should have a retrobike or at least a retro bike part in it (no not a 2012 Enduro with an ODI grip...).
*One pic/ entry per person.
*Pay attention to the 'theme' - that is the point after all.
*Nothing rude or dodgy please.
*Enjoy yourself - it's just a bit of fun.

*Beautiful landscapes aren't just in pretty places like Switzerland. There is beauty in everything. You just have to look.

:cool:

I'll get it started with a pic I took with my phone.

av3.jpg

Just fer a laff more'n anything... :LOL:

img009.jpg

Dodgily scanned pic of myself taken BiTD by my then other half - spot the bike! :D

more watch the foreground than background there steve. :LOL: Mind you watch the background too as it looks like a pre crash image to me. :) Nice though.

For those entering, try not to interpret this as a spot the bike comp, more an opportunity to look and see a great great picture, of an interesting and well composed landscape and incorporate your pride and joy in there somewhere.

:cool:

And have some fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back