Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:52 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:15 am 
Anglian Deputy AEC
Anglian Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:13 pm
Posts: 6928
Location: Livin' in a dust bowl
We_are_Stevo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
I'd be staggered if anyone had ever employed a pro photographer to put in a BOTM entry, that would seem mental.


Ummm, a certain recent, flawless resto al-mega DX springs to mind?? :wink:


If you are reffering to Boy"O"Boys bike he has access to the facilities where he works and he is certainly not a pro photographer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
REKIBorter wrote:
We_are_Stevo wrote:
MikeD wrote:
I'd be staggered if anyone had ever employed a pro photographer to put in a BOTM entry, that would seem mental.


Ummm, a certain recent, flawless resto al-mega DX springs to mind?? :wink:


If you are reffering to Boy"O"Boys bike he has access to the facilities where he works and he is certainly not a pro photographer.


No, but the photo's were taken in a studio using pro equipment - but if I had taken them they would have been better... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:31 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Many are missing the point. BoTM should be about excellence. That doesn't mean mega bucks Yetis and Kleins, it's about passion. I'm just as impressed by the lengths someone goes to to restore and present a mid range bike- again may I reference WD Pro's Marin. An obsessive restoration of a Raleigh Mustang is just as likely to get my personal vote than a cheque book Klein resto. Part of that passion should be reflected in presentation too. Modern cameras are fantastic, hell even the camera in some phones are great. Just a little care and effort is all that is needed. You don't have to carry a shrink wrapped bike to the top of Snowdon to get a good photo, a well lit plain backdrop is as good as anything and can be found within 100 yds of the door! How hard is it?
Dragging something out of a hedge and taking a photo of it leant up against the bin isn't making any effort is it? Jesus, my four year old daughter has taken better photos!

Don't just throw any old lump of tripe into the BOTM ring and expect to be treated the same as those that actually care is all I'm saying. To then cry 'elitism' and 'snobbery' whilst attacking those that have made an effort is pretty piss poor in my book.

Si


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:49 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
A winning bike has always needed to be pretty tasty so I doubt that a great photo has in itself ever won anyone BoTM. However the converse is probably true as I'm sure there are plenty of strong entrants that have self-scuppered their chances via a poor quality (and vainly I tell myself that lousy photographic skills are the only reason why I am not a contender month on month, although I know that this is a s self serving as it is self deluded).

Still, I guess we must be nearing the point of the vote, when all will become clear and the world will right itself. Until this time next month!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 pm
Posts: 587
Dr S wrote:
Many are missing the point. BoTM should be about excellence. That doesn't mean mega bucks Yetis and Kleins, it's about passion. I'm just as impressed by the lengths someone goes to to restore and present a mid range bike- again may I reference WD Pro's Marin. An obsessive restoration of a Raleigh Mustang is just as likely to get my personal vote than a cheque book Klein resto. Part of that passion should be reflected in presentation too. Modern cameras are fantastic, hell even the camera in some phones are great. Just a little care and effort is all that is needed. You don't have to carry a shrink wrapped bike to the top of Snowdon to get a good photo, a well lit plain backdrop is as good as anything and can be found within 100 yds of the door! How hard is it?
Dragging something out of a hedge and taking a photo of it leant up against the bin isn't making any effort is it? Jesus, my four year old daughter. G
has taken better photos!

Don't just throw any old lump of tripe into the BOTM ring and expect to be treated the same as those that actually care is all I'm saying. To then cry 'elitism' and 'snobbery' whilst attacking those that have made an effort is pretty piss poor in my book.

Si


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 pm
Posts: 587
So you do actually think you are god and want to belittle our pathetic
Entries that we know won't win and don't care anyway :!:

Sanctimonious p***k don't care if I get banned ,delete me bike wotever my inbox full of support states otherwise, wh
at people are scared of posting incase they get banned ....well its been good up till now :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Quote:
Don't care if I get banned


At last we agree on something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:51 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
Passions running a bit hot, let's try not to let it get too personal - it's all about the bikes, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
ededwards wrote:
Passions running a bit hot, let's try not to let it get too personal - it's all about (things that look like) bikes, right?


There, that's better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:05 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: Fife in Scotland
Dr S wrote:
ededwards wrote:
Passions running a bit hot, let's try not to let it get too personal - it's all about (things that look like) bikes, right?


There, that's better.



That means you as well.



.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group