Spikes' Chris Chance 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
Oneschnark's Ellison 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nathan's Saeco Cannondale 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Loving the Chance, but that Cesini screams retro!! Chesini it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Spikes' Chris Chance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

though decision between two very different bikes, the lemond and the chesini. in the end the lemond won.
hats of to spikes too, great bike and by far the best picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Rio wrote:

hats of to spikes too, great bike and by far the best picture

agreed; that photo is catalogue quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Chris Chance for me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:33 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I mistakenly posted this in the nomination thread, whereas I had meant to post here in this thread:

I will admit that I have not even taken into account the Cannondale and Ellison. In my eyes, with their "brifters" and frame materials, they are simply not retro or classic. Please feel free to disagree, but I believe there are far better forums for them and not here (even if I must admit to always having loved the Cannondale.)

I love colour as can be seen from my Bob Jackson tandem: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120699

But the Chris Chance just leaves me confused. The changes in colour don't seem to have any logic and do not show any artisitic expression. At first I thought that the frame was lugged and you could then come up with some justification for the colour changes in proximity to the lugs. I then went to look at the fantastic photos supplied here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31761614@N ... 104984414/ and realized that the frame is without lugs and the borders between colours are quite arbitrary. In the end it makes me think about my daughter's artwork when they were young.

I far prefer the way that colour was employed on the Lemond or Eddie Merckx. While the colour lay-out on neither is what one could classical, they suit the bike, with the Merckx keeping more tried and staid colours and the Lemond the more outspoken colours.

As far as workmanship of the frame goes, I will always remain a sucker for the full internal cables of the Chesini. This was cool when I first saw the initial Chesini bikes with this treatment in the early 80's and hasn't lost any of its impact today. I also find that the single colour paint job only goes to underline the fascination of the internal cables, almost as if to say: "look at my workmanship, you don't need a paint job to to make me attractive." In the end that is why it got my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 am 
Dirt Disciple

Citoyen du monde wrote:
I mistakenly posted this in the nomination thread, whereas I had meant to post here in this thread:

I will admit that I have not even taken into account the Cannondale and Ellison. In my eyes, with their "brifters" and frame materials, they are simply not retro or classic. Please feel free to disagree, but I believe there are far better forums for them and not here (even if I must admit to always having loved the Cannondale.)

I love colour as can be seen from my Bob Jackson tandem: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120699

But the Chris Chance just leaves me confused. The changes in colour don't seem to have any logic and do not show any artisitic expression. At first I thought that the frame was lugged and you could then come up with some justification for the colour changes in proximity to the lugs. I then went to look at the fantastic photos supplied here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31761614@N ... 104984414/ and realized that the frame is without lugs and the borders between colours are quite arbitrary. In the end it makes me think about my daughter's artwork when they were young.

I far prefer the way that colour was employed on the Lemond or Eddie Merckx. While the colour lay-out on neither is what one could classical, they suit the bike, with the Merckx keeping more tried and staid colours and the Lemond the more outspoken colours.

As far as workmanship of the frame goes, I will always remain a sucker for the full internal cables of the Chesini. This was cool when I first saw the initial Chesini bikes with this treatment in the early 80's and hasn't lost any of its impact today. I also find that the single colour paint job only goes to underline the fascination of the internal cables, almost as if to say: "look at my workmanship, you don't need a paint job to to make me attractive." In the end that is why it got my vote.

My feelings exactly. Chesini for me. b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Congrats to 80Nicola80, great win. If the winners and runners up PM their details will send prizes :)

Full result

1. 80Nicola80's Chessini Precision Arena
2. Spikes' Chris Chance
3. Mark34's TVT Lemond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm 
Retro Guru

We deserved win, lovely bit of kit there :)

However, strong competition this month though, was a tough decision for me...