Status
Not open for further replies.

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now taking nominations for the February 2011 road Bike of The Month contest.

Grandis special G.S. Quarella 1979

PICT6696.JPG

PICT6700.JPG

This Grandis is so special in so many ways. First of all, as a father myself, I was impressed with the whole story behind the bike, where Nicola wanted to restore his father's old bike as a surprise gift, then went through the whole hassle of getting the perfect paint colour, the proper team decals and all the rest. Add to this the fact that Nicola is confined to a wheelchair and the whole story becomes almost unbelievable.

Then when you look at the bike itself, every component seems just so right. There are no double pumps, no overly long cables, no mis-routed cables, no chronologically incorrect elements... everything seems just right. The only things that I was able to find were the black coloured pedal dust caps and the fact that the toe straps were threaded in the buckles more for show than for use. Even the rare four hole front derailleur which was only made for one year in 1978-79 is used.

A truly great bike, and an even better hommage to one's father, the one who undoubtedly brought about Nicola's passion in bikes.

I had thought of presenting another of my bikes this month, but so as not to take any thunder away from this bike, I will wait until later in the year.

Ive entered this bike before is a partially restored state, its now complete. hope this allowable under the rules.

Here is my completed 1958 Carlton Constellation. 23" Lindrick lugged full chrome frame, totally original save for tyres and toe clips and a few cables and bar tape. 10-speed Cyclo Benelux gears with rod front 'suicide' changer.

Hope you like it.

P9260206.jpg

P9260200.jpg

GRANDI

Colnago Saronni beautiful, but my preference definitely goes to GS QUARELLA GRANDIS, a beautiful bike, with a great charme, certainly less common of the colnago Saronni, produced in large quantities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back