Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets
Cool 62%  62%  [ 98 ]
Uncool 38%  38%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 159
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Wait a minute - is that a Shimano Ritchey or a Ritchey Shimano? Either way it's super cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

For a bike I've owned, that is very Shimanoey.

As for the sticker, what could be better than an Ritchey with a smattering of Shimano bits on and a couple of big shimano stickers?

Shimano groupsets are still un-cool though.

al. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
I might have guessed shimano, mostly due to the not too small Shimano decal on the top tube (did I really need to write it's location on the bike).
:D

You've missed the subtle Shimanoeyness entirely, your eyes have been drawn away from the smaller Shimano sticker on the seat stays just below the cantis by the obvious Shimano sticker on the top tube. See, subtley Shimanoey by virtue of being overtly Shimanoey.

Post subject: I knew it!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I knew if I shut the hell up for five minutes this thread would get a helluva lot better!

raymondluxuryyacht's post was very objective! Great stuff

And some damned funny banter :D

BTW, Al, I'm not squabbling with anyone so I'm not counting this as a 'post' more a post-let or a comment on my non-posting... Or something similarly non-controversial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

i believe in fixies wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
I might have guessed shimano, mostly due to the not too small Shimano decal on the top tube (did I really need to write it's location on the bike).

You've missed the subtle Shimanoeyness entirely, your eyes have been drawn away from the smaller Shimano sticker on the seat stays just below the cantis by the obvious Shimano sticker on the top tube. See, subtley Shimanoey by virtue of being overtly Shimanoey.

Yep! That's me, subtle.

Good job I didn't take a photo of the sticker on the otherside that says, I propperly love Shimano me, cos it's dead smart 'n' that.

Post subject: Re: I knew it!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master

hydorah wrote:
I knew if I shut the hell up for five minutes this thread would get a helluva lot better!

raymondluxuryyacht's post was very objective! Great stuff

And some damned funny banter :D

BTW, Al, I'm not squabbling with anyone so I'm not counting this as a 'post' more a post-let or a comment on my non-posting... Or something similarly non-controversial

I knew you would buckle. :roll:

I know I'm a big fanny that will get dragged into anything, but I expected more from you.

al. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am 
Devout Dirtbag

once i got some gear shifters that weren't shimano, they were rubbish, if it ant shimano it dosent have any thing to do with braking or changing gear on my bike...shimano is cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 am 
Devout Dirtbag

just a small throughout hear, talking about soul, if you look at the history of the shimano company it has far more soul than a lot of bike companys, it stared of with just one man with a hand cart selling freewheels and other small parts, in the early days of shimano if some thing broke they would give you a replacement and another one for free, and its owned by some nice old japnes guy that really loves bikes. Sram is a corpartion formed by an investment company, to me shimano has more soul!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

al wrote:
i believe in fixies wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:

Yep! That's me, subtle.

Good job I didn't take a photo of the sticker on the otherside that says, I propperly love Shimano me, cos it's dead smart 'n' that.

I must train my eye further :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Is that a Campag chainset on that Shimanoey Ritchey ?

Oh and that shiny xtr mech picture......looks like an alien's tooth pick. Too over-designed to look a certain way. The look should come from.. or be related to the function...and in that picture the look seems articificial and angular. I am no fan of high price boutique bike bits but Paul components managed to do light, angular and machined looking mechs without making them look quite so contrived. They still had a a strong functional look. Mind you I bet the xtr works better than a Paul mech. ;-)

...and is it just me or are the dura-ace and sante mechs verging on art ?

Fair point about sram scottrider.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next