Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets
Cool 62%  62%  [ 98 ]
Uncool 38%  38%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 159
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:13 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: York-ish UK
Wait a minute - is that a Shimano Ritchey or a Ritchey Shimano? Either way it's super cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Tredavoe, Cornwall
For a bike I've owned, that is very Shimanoey.

As for the sticker, what could be better than an Ritchey with a smattering of Shimano bits on and a couple of big shimano stickers?

Shimano groupsets are still un-cool though.

al. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
I might have guessed shimano, mostly due to the not too small Shimano decal on the top tube (did I really need to write it's location on the bike).
:D


You've missed the subtle Shimanoeyness entirely, your eyes have been drawn away from the smaller Shimano sticker on the seat stays just below the cantis by the obvious Shimano sticker on the top tube. See, subtley Shimanoey by virtue of being overtly Shimanoey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: I knew it!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1691
Location: Exeter
I knew if I shut the hell up for five minutes this thread would get a helluva lot better!

raymondluxuryyacht's post was very objective! Great stuff

And some damned funny banter :D

BTW, Al, I'm not squabbling with anyone so I'm not counting this as a 'post' more a post-let or a comment on my non-posting... Or something similarly non-controversial


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Tredavoe, Cornwall
i believe in fixies wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
I might have guessed shimano, mostly due to the not too small Shimano decal on the top tube (did I really need to write it's location on the bike).
:D


You've missed the subtle Shimanoeyness entirely, your eyes have been drawn away from the smaller Shimano sticker on the seat stays just below the cantis by the obvious Shimano sticker on the top tube. See, subtley Shimanoey by virtue of being overtly Shimanoey.


Yep! That's me, subtle.

Good job I didn't take a photo of the sticker on the otherside that says, I propperly love Shimano me, cos it's dead smart 'n' that.

al. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I knew it!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Tredavoe, Cornwall
hydorah wrote:
I knew if I shut the hell up for five minutes this thread would get a helluva lot better!

raymondluxuryyacht's post was very objective! Great stuff

And some damned funny banter :D

BTW, Al, I'm not squabbling with anyone so I'm not counting this as a 'post' more a post-let or a comment on my non-posting... Or something similarly non-controversial


I knew you would buckle. :roll:

I know I'm a big fanny that will get dragged into anything, but I expected more from you.

al. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 108
Location: manchester UK
once i got some gear shifters that weren't shimano, they were rubbish, if it ant shimano it dosent have any thing to do with braking or changing gear on my bike...shimano is cool!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 108
Location: manchester UK
just a small throughout hear, talking about soul, if you look at the history of the shimano company it has far more soul than a lot of bike companys, it stared of with just one man with a hand cart selling freewheels and other small parts, in the early days of shimano if some thing broke they would give you a replacement and another one for free, and its owned by some nice old japnes guy that really loves bikes. Sram is a corpartion formed by an investment company, to me shimano has more soul!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
al wrote:
i believe in fixies wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
I might have guessed shimano, mostly due to the not too small Shimano decal on the top tube (did I really need to write it's location on the bike).
:D


You've missed the subtle Shimanoeyness entirely, your eyes have been drawn away from the smaller Shimano sticker on the seat stays just below the cantis by the obvious Shimano sticker on the top tube. See, subtley Shimanoey by virtue of being overtly Shimanoey.


Yep! That's me, subtle.

Good job I didn't take a photo of the sticker on the otherside that says, I propperly love Shimano me, cos it's dead smart 'n' that.

al. :D


I must train my eye further :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm
Posts: 921
Location: Hampshire
Is that a Campag chainset on that Shimanoey Ritchey ?

Oh and that shiny xtr mech picture......looks like an alien's tooth pick. Too over-designed to look a certain way. The look should come from.. or be related to the function...and in that picture the look seems articificial and angular. I am no fan of high price boutique bike bits but Paul components managed to do light, angular and machined looking mechs without making them look quite so contrived. They still had a a strong functional look. Mind you I bet the xtr works better than a Paul mech. ;-)

...and is it just me or are the dura-ace and sante mechs verging on art ?

Fair point about sram scottrider.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group