Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:58 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 1328
Location: USA
Three Sisters Blue.

First of all, don't mind the dirt. It's been damp here the past few days and all three of these have been getting plenty of riding time. There will be time for detailed cleaning when the season is done.

84 Vintage, 85 Classic, 86 Retro.

I like Ritcheys. I know there are several who frequent this site who have nicer ones than these, but if they won't represent, I will.

Vintage 84 TimberWolf. Done up in a mix of era correct parts: Suntour, Saturn, Bullmoose, DiaCompe, just before the reign of Shimano was to really take off.

Classic 85 TimberComp. First Gen. Suntour Rollercams front and rear. Converted with a WTB dirt drop setup. This thing screams to be ridden fast and far. Complete white label XT group on RM20's. Ground Controls. WTB front end. Campy brake levers and headset. My latest build and now favorite bike.

Retro 86 Aspen. Curious about dirt drop riding, I put this bike together last summer to see what it was all about (read above for conclusion. Absolutely love it). An eclectic mix of old; DX group, RM20's matched together with the new; On One, Cane Creek, Shimano bar ends, Armadillo's etc. With the addition of a rack, fenders, and slicks this bike now see's a lot of road riding. It spends most of it's time in my office at work, beckoning for an afternoon ride.

It can be a challenge justifying three bikes so much alike, but I think it was pulled off pretty well here. a different purpose for each one.

Cheers,
T




Image



Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:00 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:28 am
Posts: 1732
Location: italy
Oh Your God! (I'm an atheist)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:49 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 10015
Hmmmm....I wonder who's trio I'll be voting for :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm
Posts: 272
Location: EastCoast USA
Tim,


those are some nice looking sisters...

but you're falling into the eurotrap of garage door pics :wink:

you need to snap a pic of those beauties in front of Mt. Rainier.



cheers,

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:17 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 1328
Location: USA
eastcoaststeve wrote:
Tim,


those are some nice looking sisters...

but you're falling into the eurotrap of garage door pics :wink:

you need to snap a pic of those beauties in front of Mt. Rainier.



cheers,

Steve


Thanks Steve,
I thought about that and am pretty sure I have a pic of each of these rides with the mountain in the background, but I am limited to two pics for the contest and can only ride one bike at a time. Thus the quick photo's last night in front of the house..... The kids and the neighbors just have one more reason to think I am weird.

Not much of a bike here so this should be safe. Use your imagination:


Image



Live about 15 miles as a crow flies away from the closest park entrance. Unfortunately no bikes allowed off the designated roadways inside the park. Makes for some great road rides though, and there are plenty of hills surrounding the park in the National forest that are bike friendly (for you Euro's seeking to ride over here and looking at the big map for ideas: remember for the most part Wilderness Area, National Parks, State Parks are not MTB friendly except on designated roadways. National Forests are bike friendly but unfortunately not all trails)
This time of year the Mtn. will start hiding in the clouds. Then when it makes it's appearance again all white with fresh snow, everyone will state "the Mountain is out today"

Cheers,
T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
Ductape wrote:
Three Sisters Blue.

First of all, don't mind the dirt. It's been damp here the past few days and all three of these have been getting plenty of riding time. There will be time for detailed cleaning when the season is done.

84 Vintage, 85 Classic, 86 Retro.

I like Ritcheys. I know there are several who frequent this site who have nicer ones than these, but if they won't represent, I will.

Vintage 84 TimberWolf. Done up in a mix of era correct parts: Suntour, Saturn, Bullmoose, DiaCompe, just before the reign of Shimano was to really take off.

Classic 85 TimberComp. First Gen. Suntour Rollercams front and rear. Converted with a WTB dirt drop setup. This thing screams to be ridden fast and far. Complete white label XT group on RM20's. Ground Controls. WTB front end. Campy brake levers and headset. My latest build and now favorite bike.

Retro 86 Aspen. Curious about dirt drop riding, I put this bike together last summer to see what it was all about (read above for conclusion. Absolutely love it). An eclectic mix of old; DX group, RM20's matched together with the new; On One, Cane Creek, Shimano bar ends, Armadillo's etc. With the addition of a rack, fenders, and slicks this bike now see's a lot of road riding. It spends most of it's time in my office at work, beckoning for an afternoon ride.

It can be a challenge justifying three bikes so much alike, but I think it was pulled off pretty well here. a different purpose for each one.

Cheers,
T




Image



Image


very cool, and great explanation 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm
Posts: 272
Location: EastCoast USA
Ductape wrote:



Thus the quick photo's last night in front of the house..... The kids and the neighbors just have one more reason to think I am weird.

Cheers,
T





Tim, that line made me lol...can't tell you how many times I've been setting up a bike shot in the front yard, had the neighbors walk by, and look at me like i'm the town idiot :lol:



Steve




.
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:52 am
Posts: 2170
Location: Poland / Cracow
In my photo You could see - except bikes - how was changed concept of MTB in late 80/early 90:

1. 89 Scott Boulder (rouge)- long wheel base, long rear stays (438mm), flat angles (69,5/73,5), U-brake in lower stays, 1" steerer, 3x6 speed (thumbs)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_89.htm

2. 90 Scott Boulder (quite rare white/green painting) still with U-brake, but in "normal position", steerer 1 1/8", angles - 70,5/73, rear stay 429mm, 3x7 speed (STI)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_90.htm

3. 92 Scott Boulder (orange/blue) angles 70,3/73,3, rearstays 430mm, canti brakes F+R, 3x7 speed, all cables on top tube, low head tube (stiffness)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_92.htm

Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:34 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 3811
Location: Sussex
how long have i got to post a picture? i'm waiting for something in the post :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
I like the Scotts, nice historical info.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group