RBotM May 2018 - POLL NOW OPEN! VOTE NOW!!!! NOW!! NOW!!

RBotM May 2018

• PeachyPM - 1984 Claud Butler Majestic

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Piperdive - 1985 Raleigh Cadet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The History Man - 1982 Raleigh Gran Sport

• Fifthgrace - 753 Joe Waugh

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • legrandefromage - 1994 Arthur Caygill

• bikenut 2010 - Vianelli Mexico

• Spokemann - 1963 Carlton Catalina

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Dr Winston - Carrera Epic

• bagpuss - Carlto Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: an open letter

Firstly, why do British bikes of a certain age always appear to get the votes?

Add a couple of mudguards and a saddlebag and dare I say it, it’s a sure fire winner?

Personally, I’ve nothing against them, but come on, if we had more voters in the mix surely we’d be celebrating some bikes that are actually exciting to ride.....as well as being good to look at. Why not open it up to a lower post threshold?

Because the vote is reduced to just one pic., many of the voters probably don’t actually get the story behind the bikes, and surely that’s where the real beauty lies.

By the way, my 753 would leave a Columbus max for dead unless your talking a heavyweight weigh in.

Oh and it’s shiny because it’s been looked after (unrestored original paint) but you’re not going to know that from a pic....

Hey, I know it’s a bit of fun at the end of day, but just saying!

If it’s just a bit of fun, which it is, why are you ‘just saying’ anything at all? Very passive aggressive. And unnecessary. The bikes that people vote for tend to win. Throw your hat into the ring sometime.

Congratulations to the winner. And all who support.

THM is quite right, this should be a fun way to show off our bikes, I do however get a bit frustrated when people don't add their build thread, as I really enjoy reading through them, much more relaxing the bloody facebook!

Re: an open letter

Fifthgrace":3bp79wcp said:
Firstly, why do British bikes of a certain age always appear to get the votes?

Add a couple of mudguards and a saddlebag and dare I say it, it’s a sure fire winner?

Personally, I’ve nothing against them, but come on, if we had more voters in the mix surely we’d be celebrating some bikes that are actually exciting to ride.....as well as being good to look at. Why not open it up to a lower post threshold?

Because the vote is reduced to just one pic., many of the voters probably don’t actually get the story behind the bikes, and surely that’s where the real beauty lies.

By the way, my 753 would leave a Columbus max for dead unless your talking a heavyweight weigh in.

Oh and it’s shiny because it’s been looked after (unrestored original paint) but you’re not going to know that from a pic....

Hey, I know it’s a bit of fun at the end of day, but just saying!

Hi mate.
A couple of pionts to piont out. Anyone can enter and everyone is encouraged to do so, the same with voting. So what is nominated is nominated and what gets the votes gets the vote. That's democracy and a open vote. The threshhold was set a long time ago inrelation to posts as you get people who enter and then vote and then we never see thenm again. That's the limit that was set long before my time and that's the way it is for everyone. If it's too low then post more or join in more.
The vote is reduced to one pic as it is the vote, it's not the nomination page where you can put two pics, a description and a link to the build thread. That page has this information so you can get more information and see more about it or get the back story as you put it. The vote page is just showing you what you can vote for and if you want more info then you just go back to the monination page. If that's too hard for people then that's a shame as I have to sort the vote page out and I am not replicating the nomination page because someone can't be bothered to click on the thread above the vote one. They both stay up until voting is over so the information is always there available and even then when it is finished both the vote page and the nomination page are moved to the archive section at the bottom of the main page and so are always one click away.
As for what you want to win and what doesn't or what's percieved to be liked or not has nothing to do with post counts.

This could go on but to be honest the first part sounds like what has won doesn't suite your tastes but to start about exciting or non exciting to ride and your 753 would leave a Columbus Max for dead is just turning to a bit of 'mine is better than yours' nonsense. Opening votes up to a lower threshhold won't change that and I doubt it will give you more interesting or exciting bikes to ride. It's really not hard to put up 30 posts especially if you want to hang round and join in on the site such as entering the competitions.

There has been a couple of people ask why they can't vote and it usually has gone down to post count rather than a problem but most just come back and vote the next month or raise their count.
This is the first complaint about the content, winners and voters in RBotM and I agree with the previous post about it being passive agressive but seen as it has a go at those who enter and previous winners let alone how it's run, I would say it's more aggressive than passive and at the end of the day, that's not a bit of fun, just saying.

Jamie

Not a chance of winning but a rare Columbus Max tubed/ lugged Arthur Caygill from around 1994 with thoroughly modern equipment

I entered it as it was a technical tour de force in 1990's steel frame construction. The Columbus lugs were rarely used and rarely seen with the butting taking steel tubing to the er, max.

I could also describe the 1950's Hill Special as the same. It was very advanced for its day and equally expensive to build and with a light weight (but scary!!) 60 year old wheelset it is as exciting to ride and could be potentially the same weight build too given the right period components.

753 was technically the best that the 1970's could offer but was a complete arse to build with hence you needed a certificate from Reynolds before you could set about the material with vigour.

When someone with that builders certificate is impressed with said MAX frame due to its construction and weight then I am too a wee bit excited, possibly jumping up and down like the giant manchild that I am.

Having owned and more importantly ridden some 400+ frames of various qualities including many Oria, Columbus, Tange, Vitus etc etc - a lot of 853 but sadly only 1 single 753 (Peugeot Perthus) , this Columbus frame has been the best for me so far.

It doesnt matter what brand or number is on the frame, if it wasnt constructed with care or skill it doesnt matter how much glitter it gets rolled in.

And most importantly, I entered the Caygill because it is a bit of fun and hopelessly tasteless.

*just to add a bit more, my second favourite ridin' iron is made from Japanese Tange Champion No.5 tubing, plain gauge seemless but the ride, whilst completely different to the Caygill, is just perfect for my Greek God body that rides it.

Morning all.
I think we should just leave this subject alone for now as it is one of those where people will defend their choice of frame or build and to be honest that's not needed in any way.
We all have different choices or criteria for what we might think is the best for us and each to their own. That is what makes this sites owners and machines such a diverse lot. Long may that last. My post as co Ordinator of the comp was merely to point out how it works.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion on what they want this comp to be and how it should go.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back