Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Looking for.....

Cooks Bros Forks
32 or 36 hole Araya rims
32 or 36 hole steel Ukai 1.75 Rims
32 or 36 hole alloy Ukai 1.75 rims
SR 4 bolt stem

also any interesting 26" cruiser frame- Champion, Pro Cruiser, SE etc.

Cheers, Si

I know that you know what you're letting yourself in for, but if you're going the 26 inch vintage cruiser route, you're going to need more: Patience, commitment, inside connections, deep pockets, powers of persuasion, ruthlessness, wheeler-dealing, a nose for dodgy practices and scrupulous attention to detail than almost any other areas of bike-obsessiveness.

And most of what you'll want/ need never made it outside the US even in small quantities.

If the recent Ebay prices for Cook's cruiser bars, 26-forks and clamp-on stem didn't scare you Sh!tless, then good luck to you! :D

(Can't wait to see what you're planning, BTW!)

For an awe-inspiring glimpse into genius/madness, register on VBMX to check out the photos on this thread. Incredible.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27049150

Good luck, BTW!

* And from your signature, the 97 "Humu" was the Stars & Bars painted Aha. Curved top tube & Cook Bros cruiser clone (except for about 20 minor details like headset/seat-tube dimensions, and lack of ring-reinforcements & perfect CBR welding).

Check,

khs7080.jpg

Check,

khs7042.jpg

Check,

Championframe0001.jpg

Give me another six months to finish a few projects and I may have what you need.....

Sounds like a fun project. Happy gathering.

T

Nah,
No cruelty implied.
Same idea, I'm just a few months ahead of you on collecting the parts this time. I know when I was putting together my prewar DX I spent a lot of time staring at your prewar thread, as it seemed you were always a few steps ahead of my Schwinn project. I am slower than you also. I have a hunch you will be smiling next to your completed cruiser build before mine is all gathered and together....
Cheers,
T

as DM says, little of that stuff made it over here and many sellers in the states won't ship overseas. Its going to be a long haul!

Dr S":3bknexii said:
as DM says, little of that stuff made it over here and many sellers in the states won't ship overseas. Its going to be a long haul!

And possibly quite expensive...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120034

Finances dictated that I had to be satisfied with a Taiwanese rip-off, in the form of a Kona, but I know you'll do a quality job of whatever you've got planned. Good luck with it!

Well I found NOS pair if 36 hole Araya steels at long last. Hopfully I should have a pair of vintage Phil Wood hubs to lace them up with later in the week.

Still looking for a Cooks fork though. I might have to make a replica if one doesn't turn up soon.

Thanks for your help guys and keep lookin'

;)

Latest posts

Back