1958 Pennine - Now on the road!

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I've now been able to get this back on the road in a more 'period' style compared to my previous post which showed it in 'as bought' condition.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

From several jumbles and a bit of wheeling and dealing I obtained more suitable components and the spec now reads -

Frame: 23" 531 with 22" top tube and 41" wheelbase. Probably 72 parallel angles. Frame number 3374.

Fork: 531 - large rake! Lamp bracket boss.

Headset: Tange Levin (to modern really)
Stem: Early Ambrosio 10cm (could do with a 12cm preferably)
Handlebar:3T (would prefer GB or similar)
Bar Tape: Will be white cloth once I get a better stem and bars.

Brake Levers:Weinmann reasonable hoods!
Brake Calipers:Weinmann 730
Brake Pads:Weinmann

Shifters: Original Benelux on original Benelux brazed boss.
Front Derailleur:Benelux Rod
Rear Derailleur:Benelux Mk 7 5 speed

Cranks:TA
Chainrings:TA Criterium 47/50
Bottom Bracket:Full TA cups and axle

Pedals:KK Quill, Christophe clips. (Will be Lyotard 460 when I've managed to clean them up.)

Rims:Milremo Club 27" HP
Hubs:Campag Tipo SF
Hub Skewers:Campag
Nipples:Yes!
Spokes:Chrome 32/40
Tyres:Michelin Select 27"
Block: Screw on 14-24 five speed

Saddle:Brooks Professional
Seatpost:Standard alloy

Went for a 25 mile ride yesterday while the sun shone and it felt fine. The steering is a bit 'ponderous' with the long fork rake and short stem but generally it is comfortable. The gear mech and rod front changer work remarkably well (if a bit 'agricultural') but as it is a 'low normal' takes a bit of getting used to after modern mechs.

The overall weight is not at all bad, a lot lighter than I'd expected especially with such heavy wheels and tyres.

First time I've ridden on a leather saddle for over 40 years. A bit strange at first but I'm sure I'll get used to it and get it to mould to my shape. Put plenty of Proofide on it to help it soften up.

I might consider riding it in the first of the Planet X 'Old Skool' 10's on Good Friday. It will definitely be 'Old Skool'!

Attachments

• 58PennineMar10.2.A.jpg
    58PennineMar10.2.A.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,980
  • 58PennineMar10.1.A.jpg
    58PennineMar10.1.A.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,980
Now that really is lovely! Nice to see period parts on it too.

You'll soon get used to the Benelux mech with its reverse lever action for the gearchange. If you need lower gears for the hills (I do...) you can fit a surprisingly wide range rear block to go with the Mk7 rear. I'm using a 14-32 on my '56 Claud, albeit with a single 44t front ring. Chain length has to be just right though.

The only component that doesn't look quite right to my eye on your '58 machine is the Brooks Pro saddle, which wasn't around then. A Swallow or a B17 would make it just perfect. On the other hand, the Pro was probably the most comfortable saddle that Brooks ever made.

Nice bike. :)

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I'm surprised you can run a 32 sprocket with a Mk 7, Wheelnut. I've found that even with only a 24 the gear mech cage is right under the sprocket but possibly I need to take 2 links out of the chain. Recommendation is for 3 links between sprocket and cage. See this -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/be ... tions.html

Yes, the Pro saddle is slightly out of period but getting a good Brooks saddle at a sensible price is not easy these days! This one cost me £8 at a jumble but needed a lot of TLC and someone has carved their name into one of the flaps but it doesn't show to much. It's a 1966 one so not to far out!

It's a longer stem and better bars that I'm concentrating on for now.

As an 'interesting' aside - combined age of bike and rider - 115!

That bike is very nice looking, Paul. Awesome you take it out for rides.

None of my bikes are garage queens. They all have to work for a living occasionally.

But sometimes only when the sun shines ;)

Pennine

Nice machine. How far back do Brooks Professinal saddles go then? I have one on my 1959 Mottram, and I know it was old when I bought the bike in 1969.

Brooks saddles usually have a year date stamped under the curved plate at the back. If it's anything like mine there will be a bit of rust to scrape off!

Pro saddles started in the early 60's I think. Before that people used to butcher B17's to get the same effect.

Back