Pinarello Montello - Chrome

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Meant to do this thread ages ago, one of my favourite bikes. I had seen one of these for the first time in a Castelli Clothing Catalogue years ago, it was a Montello in Black Chrome, with everything in black C-Record and Pantographed in white. In short it was the most amazingest ;) bike I had ever seen, and I had wanted one for a long time.

A few years ago I started looking on e-Bay for a Pin and found a lovely example that eventually went for about £3k - was way out of my price range but it was very special, S-Rec Anniversary and blue chrome. So, when this one popped up, and considering the exchange rate at the time it was slightly under 1/10th the cost. Not mint, but worth a punt. Took me about a week to rebuild it but didn't need many parts, just a massive clean. Its a little small for me. Its not quite equipped as I would like but I wouldn't change it for the World, and I am still looking for that 'right' Montello. None-the-less, a very much cherished bike of mine.

Its also work in progress, so yes, its a mish-mash of parts, but it will get there in the end... eventually....

Frame: Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX

Fork: Pinarello Columbus SLX

Headset: Shimano / Tange
Stem: 3TTT - black
Handlebar: 3TTT
Bar Tape: Cinelli (at present)

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Ultegra*
Brake Calipers: Ultegra*
Brake Pads: Ultegra*

Shifters: Ultegra (Friction Mode)*
Front Derailleur: Ultegra*
Rear Derailleur: Ultegra
Cassette: Regina Freewheel 12-17
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Ultegra
Chainrings: 52/42
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Time Titan Mag

Rims: Open 4CD
Hubs: Mavic 501
Hub Skewers: Mavic Steel
Spokes: SS/DB
Tyres: Hutchinson Kevlar

Saddle: Selle San Marco Royale
Seatpost: generic

Bottle Cage: Generic
Extras:

Weight: erm.

* Parts changed or likely to have changed in course of ownership.

Attachments

• 4250_3.JPG
    4250_3.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 4,823
So it needed a clean, and then some...

Set to work on it with the Chrome cleaner and a lot of de-greaser and so on. Had to be careful not to destroy the original logos as they were not in that bad condition, so it was (relatively) carefully done.

Went back together over a few days, but needed to change a few minor parts to get it to fit me and to make it work well.

Attachments

• IMG_3897_sml.JPG
    IMG_3897_sml.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 4,823
  • IMG_3907_sml.JPG
    IMG_3907_sml.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 4,823
Parked next to my Roberts - the finished* article.

Attachments

• IMG_3917sml2.JPG
    IMG_3917sml2.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 4,820
So, as above, finished wasn't really finished, and I have made a few changes to the bike. In fact, although it was pretty clean, I re-built again a year later.

In the meanwhile, another e-Bay fluke saw me get some Mavic 501 hubs with GL330 rims set of wheels for about £30 quid after the original 'winner' had dropped out of the sale. I also moved over the Delta's from the Roberts, bought some nice CDA black levers, and decided to change the white bar-tape because it just got dirty so quickly.

The intention will be, over the next year or so, to replace most parts with C-Rec on there, as this is the bike I always wanted, well, apart from the one which is a size up, black chrome and all the rest of it.

It won't be leaving me until the right thing comes along, and then, well, it might just get a very pampered retirement anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0815_sml.JPG
    IMG_0815_sml.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 4,819
So the bike - well it is so razor-sharp at cornering, it is clearly a fast bike to ride and it picks up speed very nicely. It did turn out to live up to what I wanted from it and whilst I have done limited dry miles on it, I got the bike I wanted. Eventually.

Final pic - taken in the Alps where I took it once completed.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0874-sml.JPG
    IMG_0874-sml.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 4,816
mavesyn":vvoxtc80 said:
Very lovely bike, good work.
Any idea on the year ?...

Not sure on the year, I think Pinarello have some form where you can query the Frame No, but I haven't as yet checked it.

The Bike has been in storage over the Winter so I will get it back out and give it a bit of a clean again - Will see what I can find out from there.

I think it was fitted with Ultegra from new, but not sure how that ages it apart from it was 1st Gen Ultegra.

:)

Back