Some of my 1960s & 1980s time trial machines.

Steve Kish

Senior Retro Guru
Firstly, the original Alan Shorter E3, originally built for John Cornillie when he was Junior Champ at 25 miles in 1968. The 3/4-length seat stays eventually gave up in about 1983.
Untitled-1.jpg

My 1984 low profile, one of the first out there, even before the LA Olympics. Not sure who built it but it had Reynolds 531SL decals on it. Was a track bike with a gear hanger brazed on and may have once belonged to Tony Doyle.
Untitled-2.jpg

My 1987 bike, a Cougar. The huge chainring was an experiemnt that worked ... sometimes!
60tring-1.jpg

.. and lastly, my all-time favourite. An Emperor Sport, same as Yatesey's, built by Tony Mills of Dauphin Sport and re-sprayed by Dave Russell. Shorter transfers by me.
Loved those Shimano Dura-Ace AX brakes .... except when they were needed. Also note the Cinelli M71 pedals. This was 1985.
Untitled-3.jpg

Retro time trial bikes FTW!! :p

All bikes with a great appeal. They breath speed. I have three bikes that could go for Time Trial bike: 2 are pure TT bikes, both by Gazelle. The 3rd is a 1980 criterium/time trial orientated Koga FullPro-L. The pick of the IJsboercke team for their time trials. One part of me says I should expand the time trial stable, but the other side tells me they offer limited usability for me.

Yes, that's the problem. The high gearing really only comes into effect at speeds over 25mph. Certainly not something that can be used for running about on.

Also, coupled with the fact that they were usually shod with Clement No. 3 or No. 1 silk tubulars that couldn't really be repaired, it kinda made then impractical - I even had a special pair of wheels for warming up on!

BTW, had a great Gazelle A-Frame winter bike myself in the mid 1980s. 531C tubing but specifically made for full mudguard clearance, just like the Dutch Panasonic pro team used.
All my clubmates had Daniel Salmon skinny mudguards on their race-clearance winter frames and I had the Bluemels Chromoplastic full ones; guess who was the driest when it poured down. :p

Back