Les Rigden 653

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I had been looking for one of these on and off for a while. Les Rigden was a cycle builder based in the North Laine, Brighton. When I was about 15 I went past his workshop and decided to stick my head through the door and see what it was all about.

'Workshop' was pretty much the perfect word for it - nice wooden benches and his own frame jigs and so on. Not sure if I caught him on a quiet day, but he was really friendly and showed me around the place, showed me the frames he had built and his back-catalog of bikes he had completed. He even gave me a few old copies of Cycling Weekly that he didn't want.

He also showed me a few bits of 'production line' bike he had sawn up to see how well the lugs were done - 1/4 inch gaps between the tubes no mitres - suspect everyone got to see this when they went for a bit fitting. Anyway all that was a few ahem years ago - Workshop is now some rather swish offices.

Saw this today, got it bought.. as I don't live too far away from the old workshop, like to think I brought it home :) Anyway, enuff on the sentimentality, it needs a little work but the specs as follows:

Frame: Les Rigden - Reynolds 653
Fork: Reynolds 653

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: Cinelli 140mm
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: TBC

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105
Brake Pads: stock
Brake Cables: stock

Shifters: Dura-Ace 7400
Front Derailleur: Dura-Ace 7400
Rear Derailleur: Dura-Ace 7400
Cassette: 6 Speed Dura-Ace
Chain: TBC
Cranks: Dura-Ace 7400
Chainrings: 52/42
Bottom Bracket: Dura Ace?
Pedals: Time (TBC)

Rims: Mavic MA40
Hubs: Dura-Ace 6 speed

Saddle: Madison (I suspect this will change very shortly)
Seatpost: Mavic

Bottle Cage: 1

Weight: n/a

Things to do:

There are a few bits of paint that need seeing to, rust bubbles which I will try and get tidied without a whole re-spray, else I know I would change the colour - its a bit bright shall we say.

Stem too long, Seat needs replacing and also the tyres - whilst new, a bit to thick for that bike. Suspect the lettering on the down-tube has been re-done at some point as well.

As for Les - not sure if he is still about, but a big thanks, got one at last.

Attachments

• IMG_1033_sml.JPG
    IMG_1033_sml.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,783
  • IMG_1029_sml.JPG
    IMG_1029_sml.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 4,783
  • IMG_1035_sml.JPG
    IMG_1035_sml.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 4,783
I visited his workshop many years ago too- must have been 1989 or so- I liked his short wheelbase triple triangle frame.

Update:

discovered seatpost is Mavic 330 - not that common by all accounts.
Also discovered from Dura-Ace 7400 gear lever is missing a few bits - anyone got a spare they are looking to sell?

Cheers

Is that the 'blueish coloured' lever?
If so I have a few of the gubbins for that. What do you need?

wired99":2867xnhh said:
Is that the 'blueish coloured' lever?
If so I have a few of the gubbins for that. What do you need?

Hi, Its the silver lever, as I don't have a reference I am not sure whats in there, its probably the washer that reduces the pressure on the lever itself and the outer plastic case. Have you got a pic?

Interested anyway, hopefully a similar part to the later setups.

Thanks

D

Les replaced the b/b shell on my Ozark frame. He died a few years back, the roll-ups got him in the end...

terryhfs":3ork6180 said:
Les replaced the b/b shell on my Ozark frame. He died a few years back, the roll-ups got him in the end...

Gutted :-(

Very nice bloke from memory, that settles it however, bike will be staying with me for the foreseeable future, got to sort a few paint bits and so on.

Back