My Carlton ( model still unknown)

channa

Dirt Disciple
Here is a couple of pics of my Carlton which I have not ridden for perhaps three years due to living abroad.

At the time Iwas into mountain biking, and I bought her to keep fit during the week for an hour or so after work.

She is serial no WH0000314. Other than built in June I believe between 68 -72 if the factory serial number register is accurate.

The low number of 314 makes me think earlier possibly than later, 314 and June production raises questions ...I am sure Carlton must have made more than 314 bikes previous 5 months. she is also stamped 201 as well is that a factory code?

It has been suggested she is a clubman, but so far I have no evidence to support or disregard the suggestion ( it would be nice to know)

I am returning to France, and I think she will make an ideal companion for travelling around. I was originally thinking of selling her but perhaps worth more than what she is worth on the open market.

I live in a camper and part of the attraction is it doesnt look flash.

It seems at some point re the spec someone spent a lot of time and money on her.

have a look

Frame:22 inch Reynolds 531c ( measured hub to base of seat post)

Fork: has above

Headset: n/k
Stem: n/k
Handlebar:Cinelli 64/44 Giro d'Italia
Bar Tape: not known

Brake Levers/Brifters: n/k
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105
Brake Pads: n/k
Brake Cables:n/k

Shifters:shimano rx100
Front Derailleur:Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Derailleur Cables: n/k
Cassette: n/k
Chain:n/k
Cranks:Suntour sl
Chainrings: has above rear shimano 7sp
Bottom Bracket:

Pedals: Avenir

Rims:Mavic s.6000 open pro
Hubs: shimano 105
Hub Skewers:nk
Nipples:nk
Spokes:nk
Tyres:vitorria 700 x 25c tecno twin treads
Tubes:

Saddle:Selle Italia Tieffe
Seatpost: Sanae AE
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:cheap and nasty
Extras:n/a

Weight:n/k

And finally some pics.

008-8.jpg

001-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

006-8.jpg

005-11.jpg

regards

Channa

I have 2 off 1979/1981 Criteriums WS9001691/WD1004719.
Paint was pale metallic Green. You might be able to see beneath the current paint if it was sprayed over.
Lugs and wrapover indicate it is not prior to 1978 (would have been the slightly fancier crespera lugs?).
Serial Number would indicate 1970 or 1980 but lugs would then mean 1980. If that first 0 is actually a zero I have found the serial number stamping sometimes difficult to be sure between 0, 8 or even 9. But your point about the the frame serial number matches what I have found I have 2 1975 frames WM5010373 and WP5002704 the first would be built according to the letters in Worksop (obviously) in September (M) you would think as the 10,373 th Bike that year which sort of matches the volumes I believe they were producing however the Criterium built in November 75 WP5 is 002704 - go figure??!!

Holy thread revival!

That numbering system started after 1970, and finished before 1990, so I think we can safely assume it's a 1980 bike. The decals would point to that too.

Back