Project Bumblebee

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got this Gitane frame from Wired99. We were a little bemused as to exactly what model it is but came to the conclusion that it is a 1976 Gitane Interclub. I searched Google long and hard for the little information that is available on it and still am not too wise but it was advertised as having "Superlite Tubing". Someone else has posted up pictures of their interclub with 531 main tube sticker. I'm not sure but the frame & fork (inc bb & h/s) weigh in at about 3kg.

The frame is in need of a refinish and has no braze ons, only a hanger for the rear mech so I've decided to convert it to a single speed. I would have gone fixed but the wheels would cost too much and I want to use up some of the parts in my spares bin.

Oh and I haven't mentioned its most appealing features; those lovely rear honeycomb dropouts, also has BCM lugs and I think Simplex dropouts on the chrome forks.

Gitane005.jpg

Gitane007.jpg

Gitane024.jpg

More pics here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Telsun/Gitane/

Step 1: Remove paint from forks

I noticed the forks had a scratch in the paint revealing more chrome underneath. This isn't a restoration project so off came the paint revealing lovely shiny forks:

Gitane030.jpg

I was a bit confused as to why the forks rattled until I noticed the expander from an old stem in there. Upon removal I was also greeted by a bit of an old stem!

Gitane031.jpg

Just plain ole black with new yellow Gitane decals, hence project Bumblebee

Been a long time since I built a bike up like this so I'm really looking forward to it.

Powder coated. Not the best job in the world, the finish is lumpier than I would have hoped for, I know that pc will never be as good as enamel but I was hoping for better....They also coated the bb threads so I have resorted to a Pristine threadless bb to get around it.

I'll take some better pictures. The black does look good with the chrome forks and once all the other polished parts go on I'm quite confident it'll look good.

gitane032.jpg

I'd just get a shop to chase the bottom bracket through with a tap, that should clean the threads up nicely.

Put some Supertrol or frame saver in the tubes now, while it's easy - an old lady like this deserves looking after! Similarly, get plenty of wax on that chrome - it's always a bit porous and will rust in the end...

Nice Bocama lugs and especially the dropouts as you say. :cool:

Tel, this is gonna look great!
And I will be crying in my beer for weeks on end :oops:
Still, I am glad someone is doing something with it as it was at least 5th on the build list for me..

Them forks look fab now and I was always a sucker for those honeycomb dropouts. I will keep an eye on this build with interest...

Wired99

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll get some Supertrol and treat it, as you say it's worth taking care of these ole girls to make sure they see through the next 34years. When you say wax do you just mean like a car wax?

I've added the stickers, they weren't my number one choice as the downtube sticker is foil and not yellow but a bit of luck on Ebay saw them coming my way. Still a bit of work to do though because the lumpy powder coat has left the seat tube sticker looking bubbly....

gitane059.jpg

I didn't want this project to just be a collection of NOS parts (especially as funds wouldn't stretch that far) so I've been raiding the parts bin for appropriate parts. I want a retro look and feel to it with a few modern twists, hopefully it'll work.

Anyway I have this old Mavic Fluted stem which I quite like and thought that with some work it would fit in with the scheme quite well. So quite a few hours later polished and painted it went from this:

stem013.jpg

To this:

stem002.jpg

stem015.jpg

stem001.jpg

I thought about doing the flutes yellow but in honesty I don't like colours on components much, black always looks more OE imho. I did do the Mavic badge in yellow though just keeping it subtle and yellow is Mavics colour anyway.

Latest posts

Back